808 Mafia, Southside & Metro Boomin Style 808's (How To)

TMU

Okay I've been making beats for 3 years now & after my 2nd year in production I've figured out how to achieve the 808 mafia sound, after listening to 150,, 808 mafia Songs. So 808 mafia took a normal 808 (which you can find anywhere on the internet nowadays) & added distortion too it,, so that it can be heard on speakers which mostly focuses on the mid range. Too get your 808's distorted more or less the same way as 808 mafia's,, Use Fast Distort & Blood Overdrive in FL studio. 3rd Party pluggin's that could be used to also achieve this sound is CamelCrusher (Best 1 to use) & BitCrusher, But you can find a lot of Free distortion vst's on the internet. Play with these vst's until you happy with the results, EQ out higher frequencies.Follow me on twitter @TMUTYP ,, I post tips on Trap Beats production daily. TMUTYP@gmail.com ,, if you want me to send you some samples / lookin' for beats

Last edited:
Yo Thanks for the thread bro, But I've got a question for you! Do you know what compressor Southside uses in his 808's? Bcoz if you listen closely to Soutside's 808's they have a distinct sound to em and you can tell that this is a Southside 808. I cant really explain this properly but let me use Mike Will as an example. With Mike Will every producers knows by now that Mike Will uses Decapitator by Soundtoys to compress his 808s and so his 808's have a distinct Sound to em and one so you can that this is a mike will 808. I feel like Southside's 808's have a distinct sound to em like Mike Will but nobody seems to know what compression plugin or effect he uses to get his 808's to sound the way they do. I once saw a video on Youtube in 808MafiaTV where Southside makes a better. In the first half of the video his 808 sounds normal. But then in the second part of the video one can notice a clear difference in his 808 almost like he put a compressor on it. Go to 808mafiatv on youtube and look for a video called "back to the basics" so you can hear for yourself what im talking about! or maybe Im just crazy because I've never seen anybody in any forum ask this question.

I don't Think its the limiter or blood overdrive or fast distrort. Thats for a differnt style of 808's.

Back