Thread: 5 common mistakes you can easily avoid when going into a recording studio

Thanks

5 common mistakes you can easily avoid when going into a recording studio

Sign in to disable this ad
    an interesting take on what you need to do before you go into someone else's space to record by Joey Sturgiss

5 common studio mistakes you can easily avoid DIY Musician Blog

should be universal imo, i.e. do not even think of recording if you cannot at least meet tips
    1 - have something to record
    3 - know what you are going to record (i.e. be ready to play rather than mucking about looking for inspiration)
    4 - be certain of what you intend to create rather than searching for inspiration
    5 - make sure that your life does not interfere with your creative time (turn your phone off and disconnect the internet); conversely do not forget about things to your detriment
    Last edited by bandcoach; 07-13-2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: else -> else's
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    you forgot 2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tappz View Post
    you forgot 2
    I wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcoach View Post
    i.e. do not even think of recording if you cannot at least meet tips
    1,3,4,5 with a commentary on each

tip 2 (having consumables, e.g. fresh strings, batteries, tuning key for drums, etc) is not applicable/relevant imo for the home recording artist insofar as they should already have those on hand, but you are right tip 2 should at least be known about in passing
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    I've seen it so many times. The other major issue I see (other than "not having a discussion about $$/compensation") would be under-estimating the amount of time necessary, especially if you are one of the inexperienced bands or artists that this article seems aimed towards.

"It's a 3 and one-half minute song, so at most it should take, what? 10 minutes maximum to record, right?" Beyond the obvious hyperbole of the last statement, I really do hear people say things like that a lot. "What do we need? A couple of hours, right?"

Always, ALWAYS, triple to quadruple the amount of time that you initially expect to spend on a recording session, and then you will have a much more accurate estimate. If your initial thought is that you can complete the basic tracks in four hours, you will definitely need 12-16.

GJ

PS-- I'm talking about "going into a 'real' studio," as opposed to a home environment where you are not paying an upfront fee or an hourly rate, and you have the luxury of knocking-off and picking back up again any time that you want. Although the principle I find to still be true, by-and-large. At least it won't cost you a lot more money than you initially budgeted!
    Last edited by rhythmgj; 07-15-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Clarification

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tappz View Post
    you forgot 2
    I think he was just summarizing the relevant bits of the article, rather than creating his own list and forgetting a number

6. The Following User Says Thank You to calimoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The best advice I heard when starting out recording was "Don't mix too hot!". Having lots of headroom is super important, and makes compressing a ton easier too.

Thread Information