New J.Troup YouTube Video...

Nice track.

Why do you still have the fantom?
Isn't there a software program in the Meko that will sample all of the sounds out of the fantom?

People just don't realize that you can't just "sample the sounds of" a Fantom, Motif, etc. ... there's a lot of work involved to get it right.

Troup what did you end up using to edit the video?
That thang looks sweet homie
Pearly white =D

MUSIKFIEND said:
Great vid Troup. How do you layer your kicks & snares together because i haven't been able to figure that out?

I do my kicks and snares in the Reason ReDrum. I chain together 5 Redrum busses so that all of them trigger from one key. Then I put different kicks or snares on each one.

Voila! Layered drums. But you have to layer together the RIGHT sounds, and tweak each one. Otherwise, you end up with a big pile of goo.

CPT said:
BUUUUT i like the r'n'b joints i assume you made for the Beyonce/ChristinaMillian/Relly.Rowl track dump on pmp.. they were really fly, sounded like J. troup on another level, so keep up the good work on FP, behind the camera and behind you Miko ...

Thank you. Those tracks were actually done for another artists people who hit me up outside of PMP. I just been doing some hip hop lately, because I got alot of pop done, but I haven't done much hip hop over the past year. But Thanx!

as20gp said:
FP Member Flosss

was taking requests, watever u wanted to see, he was gonna make youtube videos about

and he did, just gotta look..

Yup, Floss, the other dude Angel, and there's another cat that had done some Miko vids off FP. Just gotta do a search for em, I'm far from the first!

The Beat Pharmacy said:
Nice job on the video. I wasnt feeling that beat at all it sounded like a ton of sounds thrown on top of each other. I guess the best description I can give is noise. But then again Im not a fan of synth beats so Im not really a good critic.

lol...no problem. That track was actually only 4 synth parts on the verses, and 3 other minor elements on the hook. Very minimal by my standards! lol

Wha Chu Mean said:
Nice track.

Why do you still have the fantom?
Isn't there a software program in the Meko that will sample all of the sounds out of the fantom?

It samples the SOUNDS. I don't know how else to explain it. You won't get the IDENTICAL functionality of the Fantom board and all it's functions when you clone a patch onto the MiKo. Plus, one patch can be like 800 MB. Multiply that by thousands of sounds in the Fantom.

I don't know about you but I don't have 8 TB of HD space to be cloning sounds from a keyboard that I already own. :)

JC. said:
Troup what did you end up using to edit the video?
That thang looks sweet homie
Pearly white =D

I ended up using Sony Vegas to edit the video. It was really easy, and really responsive. Just took me a while because it was my first time using the program.

Thanx for the input everybody, and thanx for the suggestions on the Vid editing programs too!

I did a video a few weeks ago about when I called Open Labs support and they took control of my Miko and was fixing some stuff for me. I'll edit and upload that one next!

marcus82 said:
whether you like his flavor or not, troup's final mixes are usually very strong

Man, if only they were. They still suck. I'm still working to make them better. They can be soooo much better.

Last edited:
got the video to work man...really good stuff...lots of haters around, but regardless if they like your sound, you got talent...

E

u a bad mothaaaaaa....shut ya mouff....lol u tryin to battle for that miko yung??? beat is crazy man.. thats fabo all day

Eric G said:
got the video to work man...really good stuff...lots of haters around, but regardless if they like your sound, you got talent...

E

Some people just like different stuff. You learn that in your travels thru this music industry. Some people like some things, some people don't.

Everybody ain't gon like everything. You just gotta keep making the music for you.

i'll have to check this when I get home:cheers:

Last edited:
Got to be completely honest... not feeling the beat. You could've been a little more informative like how The-Chronics was on his video, and all you seen in the vid was his head and shoulders, and you got the whole set up. lol

Would have been nice to speak on why you did this and that... not you saying nothing and then getting up and clicking a button that has us flying away.

Props on using the hardware correctly. Props on uploading the video, and average video editing.

Thanks for the vid!

Oh... and percussion loops? boooooooooooooooooo lol

Broken Friday said:
Got to be completely honest... not feeling the beat. You could've been a little more informative like how The-Chronics was on his video, and all you seen in the vid was his head and shoulders, and you got the whole set up. lol

Would have been nice to speak on why you did this and that... not you saying nothing and then getting up and clicking a button that has us flying away.

Props on using the hardware correctly. Props on uploading the video, and average video editing.

Thanks for the vid!

Oh... and percussion loops? boooooooooooooooooo lol

It was meant to be a beat making video. I can't get too informative during the creative process. I wasn't teaching a class, I just turned on the camera and made the beat.

It was meant to give people insight into my creative process.

My NIGHTMARE video goes into the why's and hows.

My average video editing? WTF do you want, a steven spielberg production? I mean, feel free to edit my videos, I'll be more than happy to send you the raw footage.

And yes, percussion loops. Laugh all you want. Polow had a #1 hit with nothing but loops.

lol. I understand about the creative process and shyt.

Average as far as text placement, size, and font. From a CG artist, that can really bring down quality of video editing and design. It was average to me, but probably good to someone who doesn't see it from an artistic view. So consider it good. If you can get Mr. SS to produce your beat making video... that'd just be kick ass. I say go for it!

I don cur wut Polow did. I still say boooo on percussion loops. I don't care if Timbaland did it neither... I still say boo... I'd rather do my own patterns. Its way funner win you got this hot as pattern of percussion that you did yourself. In all reality, the time it takes to find a percussion loop that fits, you could of knocked out a cool as rhythmic pattern. Then you could take parts out, etc... have more freedom, plus the fact that you know you did it yourself. :P

So what??

Troup coulda knocked that pattern down easy.
Maybe he didn't feel like clicking out a pattern that day

"So what??" Its my right to booo the use of percussion patterns, as it is your right to say that someone else could of knocked out a pattern easy without having no fact that they can. :)

Lets get back on topic and let me brown nose you and say "that shyt was dope, great beat and video editing". People around here don't seem to like constructive criticism that isn't negative, the same as they don't like hating. Can't win for nothing, can ya?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back