I can't hear my bass help me!!

freshman5000

I don't know how to make my 808s audible, like it beats in a system but I can't hear it. how do it make it fuller? like if you listen to a song thru laptop speakers you can hear the 808s theres just no bass in them

I know how to use distortion but I want the 808 sound to maintain its integrity, I want it to have body and more presence in the 100-250 range while maintaining the same quality

I should also add that this problem is only on speakers and I've tried on numerous high and low end speakers but it headphones it sounds perfect

Last edited:
so here is a question about your sub is it an 808 sample or is it a sine wave or a triangle wave or what?

some audio of what you think is the issue would help us to know better how to advise you

this song is one that gives me issue, on headphones it pick the controls the speed of the song picking it up on the hook and bringing it back in transitions but on speakers it falls flat

and I use samples more often than not since I don't how to manipulate a vibe on waves

Last edited:
If it's a sample, is it tuned to low? Or played lower on a piano roll?
If that's the case then It'll sound normal in your headphones cause it's a closed space and can reproduce the frequency, where as on speakers it won't be able to reproduce the low end because it has to far to travel if you know what I mean

uh huh, I know that. I'm not new to production I just don't use 808s often so I don't know how to get the sound out of them that I want

so I've finally had a chance to listen to the track - can I hear the sample on its own?

my initial reaction is to
duplicate the bass track,
apply some saturation/overdrive (essentially add 2nd, 3rd and 4th harmonic distortion to what is altready there)
then cut everything below 70Hz (24db/octave high-pass filter),
then mix in as much as is needed to provide the depth you want in the 100-200Hz range

but hearing the sample on its own will help me better advise you still

so yeah, try what I suggested and see if that helps

I just tried this quickly with the fast overdrive effect in audacity and it seemed to make the sound have that presence you wanted the saturated track should be at -12db in relation to the main track but otherwise all is good

Last edited:
of course I'm EQ'ing it, like I said I've been producing for a while but I usually use Bass Guitar or various Sub Basses not much 808 usage

heres the actual sample ZeroGravity 808 (2)

I see you said that before but what I was getting at is it's happened to me, but I've put an eq on it's been fine but it switched to a HPF and cut upto 50hz... Just trying to eliminate all possibilities for you

so yeah, try what I suggested and see if that helps

I just tried this quickly with the fast overdrive effect in audacity and it seemed to make the sound have that presence you wanted the saturated track should be at -12db in relation to the main track but otherwise all is good
bro salute to you, I did that and added a tiny bit of distortion and cut it right under the pad now it sounds clean as hell

Back