How to make your kick drum stand out from your bass

Have you ever been making a beat and your kick sounds weak!? Well I got you covered. I'ma give you a few quick tips on how to get rid of that problem.

View attachment 42985

Eqing

By understanding how to properly eq your tracks you can easily get your beats to knock. First you must understand the basic concept of frequency range. Us humans hear between the range of 20 and 20k, the smaller the number the lower the frequency and the higher the number the higher the frequency. Anyway every sound known to man sits on the frequency range. For instance most kicks range anywhere between 100 and 500 on the frequency range (give or take).

View attachment 42986

Well one tip is to use what is called subtractive eqing to balance out the sound. Instead of boosting the kick drum try lowering the frequencies in the bass where the kick drum hits the strongest. (But not by too much though)

Layering

You can also use another one of my favorite techniques to make your drums stand out, and that's layering. The concept of layering is a pretty easy one to understand and apply to your production immediately. But don't over do it. When you layer you basically wanna stack whatever instrument or sound that you want to stand out in the mix with different sounds but following the same sequence. Ex. Lasagna (It's tastes good because of the various layers of meat, cheese, noodle, and sauce. The Lasagna would taste wack if it was just sauce and noodle. Where's the cheese and meat right. So apply that to your production. For you kick drum, once you made a drum sequence you like, double the track and change the sound to get a different over all sound. Trust me don't sleep!

Screen shot 2014-09-30 at 10.06.52 AM.png

Don't limit yourself. Layering is a great tool for every aspect of the preproduction process.

- The Music Producer Guru
BeatMakingBasics (dot) com

Last edited:
Another tidbit-- some folks insist that the bass drum (if an electronic, rather than if a real/organic version is used) has to be tuned to the key of the track. Sometimes, but not always. In fact, mostly not. Just pick a sound (or sounds, if you're layering) that you like, and EQ to taste. As long as nothing is clashing, you will be fine. Do you think that the major session greats on all of those R&B hits of yesteryear re-tuned their kicks for every single song they played on? Not so much...

GJ

Last edited:
ya bro this one thing can revolutionize ur sound if applied right .. again don't over due it and never sleep on layering lol try layering other instruments too fam

Last edited:
Back