Gunshot Synth Help?

Ch33zy

Hey everyone, haven't posted in awhile. I am having some trouble learning how to make "gunshot" sounds. The program I use the most is NI Massive. If ANYONE can help me out here, I would appreciate it greatly. I could use help making different kinds too. I.e pistols, shotguns, rifles etc. I feel like it's easier than I'm making it, but I still can't figure it out! PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
What part of a gunshot are you trying to mimic?

Cocking the weapon?
trigger pull?
45mm?
9mm?
38mm?
shotgun?
assault rifle?
automatic rapid fire?
ricochet?
impact with flesh?
impact with wood
impact with concrete or brick?
silencer?

seriously there are so many parts that you need to consider what you are trying to do and whether or not you are just better off finding a royalty free set of pre-made samples: there are several good choices out there, so unless you want to create your own specific signature sound, find a sample set and tweak.........

What part of a gunshot are you trying to mimic?

Cocking the weapon?
trigger pull?
45mm?
9mm?
38mm?
shotgun?
assault rifle?
automatic rapid fire?
ricochet?
impact with flesh?
impact with wood
impact with concrete or brick?
silencer?

seriously there are so many parts that you need to consider what you are trying to do and whether or not you are just better off finding a royalty free set of pre-made samples: there are several good choices out there, so unless you want to create your own specific signature sound, find a sample set and tweak.........

Well I did somewhat specify what I need help with. I said Pistols, Shotguns, Rifles such as automatic rifles or snipers etc. I mean honestly I could use help with it all. But what I'm mainly looking for is the idea of the gunshot sound itself. Not necessarily a specific type of gun. I'm sure the process is somewhat similar no matter what gun you are trying to achieve.

Reload sounds, ricochets, silencers, impacts, it would all be very useful to know how to do.

Before trying to create for yourself, sample yourself (just record) making each of the sounds you are trying to create. The onomatopoeic aspects (words that are like the sounds they represent) should start to push you towards how the sounds could be created.

A single shot from any gun has at least three different sounds: trigger, explosion, impact (click, boom, thud). When you have ricochets, through-and-throughs (hits flesh and continues out the other side and then impacts something else) and silencers in play, the sounds change and the number of sounds heard go up. A ghetto silencer (empty plastic coke bottle) makes a very different sound to a professionally manufactured one.

Most of the sounds you are looking to create are based in noise.

So you are looking to create shaped noise.

This means envelopes on the noise opening up quickly or slowly depending on the point in the cycle.

This means filters to get the noise into the right frequency area(s).

This means overlapping noise sets with different envelopes and filtering.

Lastly, while I have massive (I buy the komplete set as each new one is released) I do not use it in my own work. Consequently, I do not know if massive is capable of doing this multiple sources overlapped creation path or if you will need to create individual sounds and then load into something else such as soft-sampler that allows you to overlap the various points of the sounds to create the final sonic vision.

Myself, I'd use Audacity and create and shape everything on separate tracks and then save the final one-shot sound as a wav for use in any of the soft-samplers out there......

Back