Video Tutorial: How To Master A Song In 5 Minutes

CCCarnley

Cx3Music
Yo! What's up, everyone. It's been a while since I've posted but I've still been grinding. I'm starting a new video series named "Under 5." Basically, I'll be showing you cool tips and tricks and I'll keep it under 5 minutes.

Here is the first video in the series. How to master a song in 5 minutes.

Hope you enjoy and if you have any questions please feel free to ask them.

Do you trust that the final mixdown is as well mixed on the monitors as it would be on, let's say, some car speakers?
I've experienced that sometimes, the mix would sound flawless on my krk rokits and when I would listen to my tracks in the car, they would have some sounds that I would have liked to be either lower or higher in volume. Why do you think that happened?

I ALWAYS listen to my mixes on several systems before I call them done. I did that with this master before I made the video to make sure I was actually happy with it.

It happens for a few reasons though. Every type of monitor or listening device has a different frequency response. Every room and place will reflect the sound differently, sometimes for better sometimes for worse. Also, your listening level will change the response of your monitors and the listening environment. Listening to a song at high volumes will cause you to get more response from the room versus listening at a lower volume.

It's mostly about familiarizing yourself with where you're listening. The reference spot I trust the most is my car because I listen to a ton of music in my car. If I love how a mix sounds in my car and I get mine to sound that good, it should sound good everywhere else.

Last edited:
Good point about the car.. a shame that it's too much of a hassle to go, listen to it on the car, then go back, tweak it.. I tried listening to the track on my laptop after I've finished the mix on my monitors. Mastering is pretty tricky..

I ALWAYS listen to my mixes on several systems before I call them done. I did that with this master before I made the video to make sure I was actually happy with it.

It happens for a few reasons though. Every type of monitor or listening device has a different frequency response. Every room and place will reflect the sound differently, sometimes for better sometimes for worse. Also, your listening level will change the response of your monitors and the listening environment. Listening to a song at high volumes will cause you to get more response from the room versus listening at a lower volume.

It's mostly about familiarizing yourself with where you're listening. The reference spot I trust the most is my car because I listen to a ton of music in my car. If I love how a mix sounds in my car and I get mine to sound that good, it should sound good everywhere else.

Back