Is there a secret to getting your kicks to knock?!

E

ELiBeatz

My mixing skills is not quiet there yet. I've tried doing new things to make it so but I can't seem to get it to where I want it to be .

Is there a secret or is it all by listening ?

SIDECHAINING SIDECHAINING SIDECHAINING SIDECHAINING SIDECHAINING, dude im telling you. I've been producing for almost 2 years now and Ive just learned how to do this. This will make your main shit "duck" behind your kicks to make them punch through the mix without taking to much space and muddying it down. Search up on youtube how to do it within your DAW. I promise it will change your life lol

You could compress the kick, divide it into 2 parts: a bottom and a top kick and work on each differently (nothing essential but a lot of people prefer it that way), you could even choose 2 different kicks and make them bottom/top kick, and layer other sounds with it (for example a hihat or something else), you could use a transient designer and boost the clicky attack of the kick, using EQ correctly can really make or brake a kick, you could saturate the kick... etc. There are a lot of things that can improve (or destroy if abused) a kick sound.

Sidechaining the kick can really help the kick cut through the mix and create a nice ducking effect, but it won't help fixing a crappy sounding kick.

There are no secrets, just tools and common methods. It is all about listening and experimenting until it sounds good to you.

sidechaining is very usefull yes and eq

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

doing some layering is good too (not only for kick)

Back