Tutorial: Synchronizing AKAI MPC and KORG Triton to a Computer / DAW

Mr.mano1 Again, very informative video. I use a motif es as a stand alone unit (it's basically all i need) but if was wondering if use cubase to record and sequence my beats (tracks, songs), do you think enough big studios have cubase that i can take them there for proffesional mixes, or is there a way to transfer them to somethng more popular like protools. Save as wave files maybe? What do you think?

Export to OMF (a file format used to transfer between DAWs) or as multile/separate WAV tracks.

There are a lot of little details I can't describe here though (things you might run into with MIDI tracks, VST effects, etc) so it's something I could do a video tutorial on.... after I explain how to "track" your MPC/Triton/hardware as audio

Thanks homey. I'll just presume "exporting to omf" is an option already available on cubase and merely requires a disk to be saved to.

I believe so. I haven't used OMF export myself but it's in there.

Exporting all your tracks as WAV files is another alternative

it should be noted that OMF is does not come with Pro Tools (atleast not to my knowledge) and that it is a seperate plug in u have to buy and not every studio will buy it

homeboy954 said:
Thanks homey. I'll just presume "exporting to omf" is an option already available on cubase and merely requires a disk to be saved to.

exporting to OMF is only available on the SX version of Cubase.

i have Cubase SL2 and it doesn't support OMF files. SL3 may, but if history is any indicator, then i doubt if SL3 exports to OMF either. i could be wrong. if i am, someone speak up.

allright.

then export your project as separate WAV files, and you should be fine.
It will create a long WAV file for each track.

So does the program have to have the Send MIDI Clock as an option for the MIDI/SYNC to work? Would it be possible to use Audacity to run MIDI/SYNC?

FreeWilley said:
So does the program have to have the Send MIDI Clock as an option for the MIDI/SYNC to work? Would it be possible to use Audacity to run MIDI/SYNC?

With the MPC1000, yes

other MPCs also accept other kinds of sync protocols (MMC, etc).

I dont know if Audacity sends MIDI CLOCK sync ... my guess is no.

MANO ive been visiting this vid for a week now but it keeps on hanging up 30 secs. from the beg. how is that? how bout uploading it in youtube?

nicely done.

i finally upgraded the flash on my internet machine, so now i can actually _watch_ your videos. very informative.

And if protools doesn't include .OMF support, then that's really stupid. it's totally the cross-platform format of the new millinium (except it messes up like half of what you're trying to transfer). shame on digi.

very informational video,.,.,for a while i've researched this issue and had to do some thorough investigating just to get the answer I was lookin for...my question to you tho is this...I don't want cubase to be the master of the mpc...I want to be able to control the vst instruments and my triton off of the mpc (make the mpc the master) ....I know how to midi the triton to the mp and thru ur video I've furthered my knowledge on midi'n the mp wit cubase, but how can i control the vst instruments with the triton, still b able to use the factory sounds in the triton, and be able to sequence in the mpc?..and then track it all to cubase? can someone help me..? this is a lil bit complex than what was shown in the video

(mano posting from Smartie's computer)

junejhunkie said:
MANO ive been visiting this vid for a week now but it keeps on hanging up 30 secs. from the beg. how is that? how bout uploading it in youtube?

There is a problem on your end. Thousands have watched it without any problem. Youtube? No thank you. Noticed how this is high quality, 640x480 resolution, and ... in a members-only area of FP? :) Try different browsers. Maybe your security settings are set too high. The video works. Update your flash player in case that's the issue. Good luck.

Broadway927: I made another video where I explain exactly the process to control VSTs from hardware (MPC or Triton). This does not involve any master/slave synchronization at all... You don't need sync to sequence all your VSTs from the MPC - Now... Tracking audio is another issue and to do that you would start by doing what I show here. Yes, you can sequence all your VSTs from the MPC and then track the MPC parts into your computer even if the MPC is not the master.

Last edited:
DonaldCrunk said:
nicely done.

i finally upgraded the flash on my internet machine, so now i can actually _watch_ your videos. very informative.

And if protools doesn't include .OMF support, then that's really stupid. it's totally the cross-platform format of the new millinium (except it messes up like half of what you're trying to transfer). shame on digi.
no actually its genius kuz u have to pay for the addition they are making more money off of u using another format

Last edited:
yo mano

thanks, foreal

i've never used midi yet (besides plugin my midi keyboard to my 4000 or to the computer) so these last two vids pretty much make this whole midi thing look alot easier than it orginally sounded. even the way you explained the "midi in, midi out" was easy to get, alot easier than most manuals. Now I'm just waiting on you to post a video showing how to track out each individual sound into a daw, then I'll be set.

Question : Is there any other advantage in using the MPC as the master and the daw as the slave? other than the process being reversed? (I.E, pressing play on the mpc starts the daw).

thanks once again

Last edited:
Beatz Galore said:
Question : Is there any other advantage in using the MPC as the master and the daw as the slave? other than the process being reversed? (I.E, pressing play on the mpc starts the daw).

thanks once again

Hey,

That's about right, yes. The advantage is that you have the play/stop buttons "right there" while working on your MPC tracks/beat and don't need to reach for your mouse/keyboard or other control surface (if you have one) back and forth.

I noted in the video that the MPC1000 has "MIDI CLOCK" send and receive... Not all DAW software can be slaved to a MIDI CLOCK (its the most basic sync method out there). Cubase can't, for example (Steinberg made the choice), that's why you see me set the MPC as the slave.

Other MPCs also have MIDI Machine Control (MMC) which is a more sophisticated method, supported by most DAW software to slave to.

Is there anyway to to set the Triton as the Master and Pro Tools as the Slave? idealy i would like to hit record on the triton and have pro tools kick in at the same time.

Back