Tutorial: Synchronizing AKAI MPC and KORG Triton to a Computer / DAW

heimz57 said:
Awesome video!! how is the 1000 treating you? i might buy one soon over a 2500 since now i you can buy the hard drive for the 1000....do you have anything installed on it?

It is a fun machine to work with - I don't have anything installed on it ... I actually still have 16 MB of RAM only (!). I just have a few large Compact Flash Cards to load/save stuff.

Glad you all liked this episode of the FP SHOW :cheers:

Stay tuned, more episodes are coming.

awesome tutorials as always... now I wish I had all the gear that you did :) I am happy with my m-audio trigger finger + radium 49 for the time being... where everything audio wise is on the pc and simply triggered as midi externally.. very easy to use but the syncing/recording of it into a daw when recording mifi info always seems to be off... I am pretty sure its something to do with the quantization options... I am currently using ableton live and reason

Hey 4nT1: thanks for the kind words, and welcome to the FP family :hello:

Can't wait to publish more FP SHOW episodes!!! :cheers:

very useful- i'd be curious to see how you approach tracking out songs from your mpc- what audio interface are you using?

-Lodger

Lodger said:
very useful- i'd be curious to see how you approach tracking out songs from your mpc- what audio interface are you using?

-Lodger

I will explain audio tracking soon - I will explain things generally - without forcing any hardware specific model.

I personally use a CREAMWARE SCOPE PROJECT, however I have a very simple approach to tracking: I just record 1 track at once, using 1 audio cable...

At the end of the day I found that I lost more time setting up all my sub-outputs on the MPC, the hardware i/o and cables mess, the software i/o and tracks (etc) ... than simply record 1 track at a time, solo-ing and recording each track in Cubase... Funny eh? But it works just fine and I don't have to think as much.

In the future tutorial I will explain both ways - possibly on 2 FP SHOW episodes if both approaches require time to explain. They both have pros and cons.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for being a part of the FP family

bigglos said:
how would i get the computer to control the akai and the triton at the same time

If you have multiple MIDI OUTS on your computer: you run another midi cable from another MIDI OUT on your computer to the Triton's midi in

If you only have 1 MIDI OUT on your computer: it's been a while since I've done this, but I think you would plug a MIDI cable from the MPC's MIDI OUT to the TRITON's MIDI IN ... Then tell the MPC to send out MIDI CLOCK as well.. Where I show "SYNC IN" you also set SYNC OUT and you set that to 1 or 2 depending where you plugged the Triton. That SHOULD work... You press play on the computer > MPC syncs and starts > MPC tells the Triton to sync and start > Triton syncs and starts

Well Mano, I thought this video would be very helpful since, as you may know I have a post from the Mixing and Mastering on this almost exact thing, but I still can't get this to work even by watching the video and going through step by step. When you say hook up to Midi from the computer, is it the same thing as hooking it up to my interface? It's the Lexicon Lambda.

By the way, it would be awesome if you find the time to show how to track as well. Thanks

Last edited:
midi cable from your computer's MIDI OUT connector to the MPC's MIDI IN connector

Lambda_Rear-161747514f4e6b1a19142fa6386dd19f.jpg

It is the last connector at the bottom (round)

Mano, I swear to you that is what I have done. I have my Midi In 1 of my MPC to the Midi Out of the Lambda and the Midi Out A of my MPC to the Midi In of the Lambda. I really don't understand why I have not been able to succesfully get this to work on Cubase. I have done everything just as you have. Do you have any idea of any other setting I should check to get this to work?

Regardless, thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I don't know... I dont have cubase in front of me now but... Do you have the Sync "online" or "enabled" (cant remember the word)? It's under the TRANSPORT menu at the top I think. It's a checkbox in the menu itself at the top.

There is a sync online and sync setup. I'm not sure what sync online does but sync setup is the midi timecode and midi clock setup. I have my Lexicon checked in the midi clock.

sync online "enabled" the sync... is that "checked"? (little check mark on the left of the words "sync online"

make sure it's plugged to the midi in of your mpc...

also... you heard me say that Cubase can be the master, but NOT the MPC1000? You press play/stop on the computer, not on the MPC, to start both

Once again Mano, thanks for your help.

Yes I understand. I want Cubase to be the Master and slave the MPC, which will enable me to record into cubase.

I guess I will keep trying. Anything else though.

Xabiton said:
H&R ur a genious pimp! On a side note Mano why didn't u iron that shirt lol

That's the style of the shirt! It even has built-in stains (looks just like coffee stains) and thread coming off all the seems ... Love it :)

H&R rocks :cheers:

mano 1 said:
That's the style of the shirt! It even has built-in stains (looks just like coffee stains) and thread coming off all the seems ... Love it :)

H&R rocks :cheers:
it must be a french thing lol. Go Italy!

Back