Review: IK Multimedia Philharmonik Miroslav

mano 1

Founder
Staff member
Enjoy this "unscripted" video review :)
Running time: ~10 minutes.

Post questions about Philarmonik in this thread.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="640" height="480" id="player" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="https://www.futureproducers.com/videos/videoplayer640.swf?f=1.flv"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><embed src="https://www.futureproducers.com/videos/videoplayer640.swf?f=1.flv" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="480" name="player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></object>

Additional info:

GET PHILHARMONIK HERE

Links:
More MP3 audio demos
Product page

Full list of instruments

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, mano1, this is an excellent display of vintage orchestra sounds resurrected into software digital medium. The improvisational number was a definate plus.

Very impressive sound so far. It's out of my budget today, but I'd love to have more organic/realistic sounds at my disposal.

Choirs are always inspiring to me... :D

Check online for prices, it might be cheaper there... Also there is a "Crossgrade" price for SampleTank 2 users which is $399.

wow. that thing is cool. i was looking at the review from keyboard magazine and i like this in action. i need a beat to run it tho. i think you can increase yoru sampling posibilities by composing a simple string and choir piece and loading it into the mpc and you can have a ball. the sounds are full and have great ambience. i like the pizz. ohh man if i had this it'd be a wrap!!!

Cool. I heard only good rumours about this software, but I never saw or heard it. The vid is great !! :victory:

Thanks for the video, it seems like really amazing software.

A quick question, how easy was it to set up the program and get accustomed to using it?

Its as if hundreds of these sounds are at your disposal at the touch of a button.

Hi guys thanks for the positive replies :victory:

Questions:

KS86: setting up the program is easy, takes LONG though because you first install the plug-in CD, and then install 2 DVDs of sounds. It took a couple of hours on my machine.

You need a VST host (such as Cubase, FL Studio, or any other) to run it - I don't think it can run standalone.

The interface is easy to use:

You have 16 slots for sounds
you select one slot
then double click on a sound to load it in the selected slot
the list has categories which expand/collapse

Click to see a large screenshot of the interface

You can Save and Load "Multis". A multi is the state of Philarmonik with up to 16 instruments loaded and configured. It's like a template. You can save a few of those to recall instantly.

Last edited:
I have a question mano. Are some of the sounds(strings) only mapped to a small section of the keyboard? I have some old Akai miroslav I converted to soundfont and they only play from a small section, while my roland library covers most the keyboard.

Good question.

From what I could see, each instrument is mapped to a "realistic" range of notes. Violins are pretty much in the high range, Cellos in the low to mid range, Violas blend from low-ish to high-ish - Women choirs are higher than Men choirs, etc.

I like it actually - it kind of educates you on what instruments are supposed to do :)

I haven't seen any instrument mapped to a smaller range than it should be, however.

this is tight tahnks for the video. can you take off the preset ambience to make the sounds very dry? I like using dry instruments and then building my own reverb for them. Also are there any orchestra hit patches much like how they have a full strings patch? I love big orchestra hits and epic sounds I normally just make them myself with a bunch of layers. But its nice to just load a patch and play away...

Thanks for the video

mano,

First, thanks for the vid man! What better way to review a product than to see it in action!! My question is does the Reason Refill version lose any of the functionality that would be in the stand-alone or VST version??

KomplexBeats:

Yes the reverb you hear is actually not from the Philarmonik app, but it is a reverb effect which runs on my Pulsar 2 DSP card.

The sound have quite a bit of ambience in them - I will double check but nothing sounds "cold and dry" on it - which I really like... There are emotions and feel from the performance and the place it was recorded at (Dvorak Hall in Prague!!).

I saw a list of "performance" presets - I need to go through these, I believe they are hits and glissandos, etc. I'll double check.

Glad you liked it! I count on publishing more of these, with this new format (thread)

Konvict:

I did not know there was a Reason Refill version ... I wouldn't know if you'd loose anything.

As far as I know there is no "standalone" mode on this app - it loads as a VST or DXi.

Last edited:
thanks mano i really appreciate your review. as long as the reverb isn't overbearing then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

man i'm loving what you did with the site i can't give you enough credit. Its real real tight.

Peace

Peace Mano good look out with the shirts :victory:

JTraxx I told yall about the Philharmonik long ago, no one believed me that's why my strings sound off the hook, it's already a wrap lol With Philharmonik, Sample Tank, Atmosphere, Sonic Synth, you can't lose lol

www.soundclick.com/danoc

insane program, i can see the philharmonik with a phat beat and some 808's and your set!! lol

cant wait for the Income Tax refund to come back.

ironbeatchef said:
Hey are there any other vocal sounds,the male vocal sounded awesome!!

Tons and tons and tons... I posted the link to the FULL list of patches/sounds. Check it out (under video).

(edit)

I checked the link to the full list > "show choir sounds"

and there are 99 presets, just for choirs!

Last edited:
Back