Basics of Setting Up a Mixer and Audio Recording / Tracking

mano 1

Founder
Staff member
Duration: About 12 minutes

Summary: Learn the basics of Mixers, how to integrate a simple mixer in your computer-based studio, how to record a few tracks on your software + some final advice on "simplicity"

NOTE: You see me plug the synthesizer into the RETURN inputs instead of 11 + 12 INPUTS. I meant to plug it in the next ones, the 11 and 12 INPUTS.

Want to buy a mixer AND you don't mind helping FP?
Then use this link to find and buy the mixer you need:
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/cat--Mixers--2846

Awesome vid...One question..If i was gonna track my mpc onto cubase like this how would i do the whole midi thing? Could you make a video tracking your mpc with the mixer? i mean i see how i could get the tracks onto the software but how would i do it so whenever i switched to the next track it would be in-sync with the others? thanks and keep it up

DonaldCrunk said:
swell video, sir. what soundcard were you running your mixer into?

My pleasure! The soundcard is a Creamware SCOPE Project. It has 6 dedicated SHARC DSPs with effects, mixing, synths, etc. I mainly use it to mix and for effects. It's getting old (~2000) but is still an amazing product. I didn't want to confuse people in this "basics" video - and thus only mentioned that I was using "2 inputs on the computer".

oh man that's a great device to have for what you do! very well tailored. cream's softsynths are truly unparalleled i think.

you could do a pretty good synthesis tutorial with those two devices you have there as well(moog, PE)! i've considered doing something similar, but i dont own a real clearly laid out synthesizer, whereas yours would seem to be excellent for that purpose.

yep the Micromoog is the PERFECT synthesis educatoin device ... sop clearly laid out and simple I actually shot some test episodes for synthesis but haven't done a formal one.

this is a nice vidI always needed an explanation on this now theres a video on it thanx mano ur a beast man thanx very much for all these vids u been making man thanx......

Hey Mano, i have the same exact mixer and i got the group outs running into my mpc record in to record samples, however nothing comes up, the music is not going through. Could there be something wrong with my mixer?

Last edited:
why not run the boards into a soundcard with more inputs vs using a mixer? to me atleast it sounds more ideal to just use a different soundcard. either way good vid

(mano here)

Xabiton said:
why not run the boards into a soundcard with more inputs vs using a mixer? to me atleast it sounds more ideal to just use a different soundcard. either way good vid

Thanks. You bring up a good point: this is why I called this tutorial MIXER BASICS ... of course you can decide to work differently, this does not mean that people don't want to learn how to use their mixer in a computer setup efficiently ;) ... plenty of people have 2 inputs on their M-BOX and others... they need a mixer at least to "patch" things like I show in the video.

(my soundcard has a ton of input options - I just use it minimally)

delo433 said:
Hey Mano, i have the same exact mixer and i got the group outs running into my mpc record in to record samples, however nothing comes up, the music is not going through. Could there be something wrong with my mixer?

Did you enable the "1-2" button on the tracks you want to send to the MPC? ... and did you crank up the 1-2 fader next to the stereo fader? (what I show in the video)

Last edited:
C-Lovely said:
Great video Mano!!! That helped alot. Question, how would I connect my m-box2 to my mixer? I have the same mixer.

Exactly as I explain it... you have a LEFT and RIGHT INPUT and LEFT + RIGHT LINE OUT on the M-BOX right? ... it should apply (I try to be as general as possible ... "computer inputs")

To "synchronize" things (MIDI), make sure to watch my video about that topic (it applies to pro tools)

Back