Basics of Setting Up a Mixer and Audio Recording / Tracking

Good looking out on the video, man it was pretty informative. But I have two questions if you don't mind asking- one- I have a Roland edirol UA-4afx interface, and Fl7 as my Daw, will this mixer negate the need for the edirol and can this mixer be set up to sync with the mixer controls on the fl mixer or simply as a standalone after the track is made. Two, what magor stores carry this, because i live in LA and i dont think i have seen that type before.

Sup Mano. I own the Yamaha MG12/4 mixer and use it extensively. I watched your video twice and I can swear that you pluged your Synthesizer into the Return Channel instead of the Stereo channel 11/12. To my knowledge the Return Channel is used for receiving the Audio signal from Hardware Effects (Compressors, Reverbs, Delays, etc) which were pluged into the Auxiliary Channels. I don't know if you switched it after you turned the mixer around but I just wanted to clarify that. That is my way of helping or contributing to the video and to help others who might want to know.

B-Side said:
How many out puts does this mixer have?

well what I am explaining in the video applies to any mixer - and my advice is to get AS LITTLE AS YOU NEED/CAN GET to simplify your process / workflow.

Thsi particular mixer has 4 main bus outs: MASTER (2) and GROUP (2). I show how you use GROUP to send stuff to the computer/recorder, essentially

ednegga said:
Sup Mano. I own the Yamaha MG12/4 mixer and use it extensively. I watched your video twice and...

thanks for finding possible "bugs" in the video (mistakes, etc) I appreciate it. I know what returns are for :) ... I double checked and YES you are correct - while I was holding the camera and checking the footage, I mistakenly plugged the synthesizer into the RETURN inputs instead of 11 + 12 INPUTS. I will add a comment below the video for now, and will try to do another edit there. I was doing multiple "takes" and the wrong take made it thru editing.

jeffery225 said:
Good looking out on the video, man it was pretty informative. But I have two questions if you don't mind asking- one- I have a Roland edirol UA-4afx interface, and Fl7 as my Daw, will this mixer negate the need for the edirol and can this mixer be set up to sync with the mixer controls on the fl mixer or simply as a standalone after the track is made. Two, what magor stores carry this, because i live in LA and i dont think i have seen that type before.

Again, please everyone understand that I am not pushing any specific model of mixer in this video... this is about TEACHING HOW TO USE A MIXER IN YOUR SETUP :)

It won't "sync with your fl mixer" because it's an analog mixer. It's to do what I show in the video: "send" specific analog/external instruments to your computer for recording audio tracks (or sampling). Beyond that, if your setup works (and if you don't have external hardware instruments), you don't need to do what I show

Decisive said:
I experience a better quality recording directly into my M-audio Delta 44 from the MPC and the triton then going from the MPC to the mixer and the triton to the mixer THEN to the delta 44.. would you happen to know why?
  1. check your "levels" on the mixer. Make sure you aren't feeding in low volume and then boosting that on the mixer itself too much (you'll also boost noise). Crank up the volume on the MPC and the Triton (not too much - but at least to get a good level from them) and then adjust a little bit up/down on the mixer itself (+EQ if you want some of that ... watch for "clipping" / going too loud)
  2. get good audio cables
  3. On the Delta, same thing as #1 ... Send a good level from the mixer (track faders + the GROUP fader in my video) to begin with, do NOT use the delta to bring up a low level back up too much... you'll bring up noise/hiss
EVERYONE: THANKS FOR WATCHING AND HAVE FUN MAKING MUSIC :hello:

Last edited:
Ayo Mano!!!!!!!!

I got almost the same mixer you have as i have the 16 channel one......But anyway how would i go along plugging in my MPC 2000XL thats only used for drum patterns and sequencing and reason (used as a sound module and effects) into my computer using a USB audiophile.....The only way i couldve done it was by taking the inputs of my monitors and pluggin it in to my audiophile.....Thus when i was using cool edit 2.0 i never heard any output, but it was recording......It gets on my nerves cause i would have to stop, rewind and play it again to hear the mix........... Its kinda confusing but eh....... I got all this stuff on my mac and mp and wanna start recording......

Jswagger: plug your stuf like how I show in the video - EXACTLY like I show. It applies to any analog mixer and any audio interface. Just unplug everything, then watch and pause to plug things as you watch.

Hey Mano, great video!

QUESTION

I have the same mixer but i have it set up differently. I have my monitors going into the 'ST OUT' instead of the 'CR OUT'. I then have the output from my computer going into 'Channel 5/6' (the first stereo channel). And the input from my computer going into the 'Group 1 & 2' on my mixer.

I find the way i record very inefficient as there is an awful lot of button pressing which slows down the recording process.

I'm assuming that the way you have set it up in the video is the most efficient way yes? More efficient than my way? If this is the case (which i'm pretty sure it is) the how do i plug the input from my computer into the '2TR IN' because the cable from my computer is a 1/4 stereo jack. Do i need a jack to phono lead or something to fix this?

(sorry if i have got the INS & OUTS mixed up in this post, its 1:00am and i'm very tired lol, i'm sure you know what i mean)

Thanks a lot mate and props on the video again! :cheers:

SP

Yeah im having the same problem Jswagger is having.....I did everything you said in the video and still cant record my sounds from reason...................

Nice Tutorial dude, I have and love that mixer. You mentioned recording tracks in mono. Is there any advantage to recording in mono vs stereo. Just wondering because I've always been in the habit of using stereo to record since I use the stereo outs on all of my hardware to connect up to the mixer. I'm using mbox pt 6.7.

reason 3 wit keyboard

somebody please help me
oki i got a yamaha keyboard dat iz connected to da fireface 800(keyboard-midi out,fireface-midi in)den somebody on dis forum told me to buy a firewire pci card,an a bought it,now a connected da fireface to da firewire card inside da computer,an still reason doesnt detect ma keyboard
any solutions?? a think a spent more den 2 months trying to figure dis out :D

Stréetwíze Productnz said:
Is Mano still responding to this thread?

SP

You bet - I am just not looking at it "24/7"

some questions don't have a quick answer either - some questions are more about other tutorials I already made, or out of the scope of this one.

I've answered to many questions here already, see the preious pages :)

One important thing though: I did not mean to make a video about "this mixer model" in particular... this is about general theory and practice of using a mixer in your studio.

will come back later to review new questions

STRIT_LAIF said:
somebody please help me
oki i got a yamaha keyboard dat iz connected to da fireface 800(keyboard-midi out,fireface-midi in)den somebody on dis forum told me to buy a firewire pci card,an a bought it,now a connected da fireface to da firewire card inside da computer,an still reason doesnt detect ma keyboard
any solutions?? a think a spent more den 2 months trying to figure dis out :D

this is WAY out of scope of this specific tutorial / FP SHOW episode... PLEASE just post a new question/discussion in the Getting Started forum or the Recording forum or the Computers forum. THANKS

mal_function said:
Nice Tutorial dude, I have and love that mixer. You mentioned recording tracks in mono. Is there any advantage to recording in mono vs stereo. Just wondering because I've always been in the habit of using stereo to record since I use the stereo outs on all of my hardware to connect up to the mixer. I'm using mbox pt 6.7.

both mono and stereo will work.

I personally prefer ot do my panning later when I mix. Technically stereo is 2 tracks. I want to know what I am hearing in the monitors (where is the violin? it's here... where is the piano? it's there). I tend to feel less in control when recording stereo sources. Plus most of the time, both channels have the same audio - especially when you record "dry" (no effects/reverbs/etc on the source). Technically you can do both if that works for you.

2toneglocko said:
Yeah im having the same problem Jswagger is having.....I did everything you said in the video and still cant record my sounds from reason...................

Reason is not an audio recorder and doesnot record audio tracks - at least the last time I looked at Reason (Which was a while back - but I'm pretty sure it still is not an audio multitrack recorder)

Stréetwíze Productnz said:
Hey Mano, great video!

(...)

I find the way i record very inefficient as there is an awful lot of button pressing which slows down the recording process.

I'm assuming that the way you have set it up in the video is the most efficient way yes? More efficient than my way? If this is the case (which i'm pretty sure it is) the how do i plug the input from my computer into the '2TR IN' because the cable from my computer is a 1/4 stereo jack. Do i need a jack to phono lead or something to fix this?

(...)
SP

You definitely got things switched around - plug like I show in the video, that is the correct way to do it (CR means Control Room ... which means your speakers.... 2TR IN means... Recorder tracks back in the mixer ... which is what you want)

get an adapter to go from your 1/4 Stereo Jack to the RCA (round) plugs on the 2 TR IN inputs on the mixer. That's easy to find. Get something decent though (monster cable brand or similar)

Last edited:
Wow mano your not hearin me and glocko son.......

Im using reason as a module not as a recorder..........

Ill make it clear....

i got reason and mpc MIDI up

I make a beat.... I make my drums on my mpc, now i make a bassline and key riff on reason..... Sounds great on the monitors, now when i record on SONAR only the sounds from my mpc which are drums and NOT SOUNDS FROM REASON get recorded to MY PC......

Last edited by a moderator:
use rewire to get your reason audio tracks to your DAW
it's already on your computer, no need to get that audio thru your mixer.

mano i was wondering i have a mixer and everything , but have been using one of those audio workstations multi-tracks by yamaha like boss makes and u burn projects to cd, just for my mic and recording into my sound card i have it going stereo out from the workstation to my computer is that bad, cause i know normally thats where i would plug my monitors i was using it by it self or would it be best to do like u show in the video to use my mixer to record vocals to my computer, lately i been hearing some weirdness from recording just wondering if that could be a problem thanks

ok so ive been djing for about a year n doin beats for years, but im lookin ta start recording. so i kno i need te mic n an amp. BUT im lost as to how im suppose ta hook all this stuff up to my comp. so if sumbody could explain these thangs to me

dj plove said:
ok so ive been djing for about a year n doin beats for years, but im lookin ta start recording. so i kno i need te mic n an amp. BUT im lost as to how im suppose ta hook all this stuff up to my comp. so if sumbody could explain these thangs to me

Your question is out of the scope of this SPECIFIC TOPIC here... please post a detailed question as a NEW DISCUSSION in one of the sections... THANKS

dolla bill said:
mano i was wondering i have a mixer and everything , but have been using one of those audio workstations multi-tracks by yamaha like boss makes and u burn projects to cd, just for my mic and recording into my sound card i have it going stereo out from the workstation to my computer is that bad, cause i know normally thats where i would plug my monitors i was using it by it self or would it be best to do like u show in the video to use my mixer to record vocals to my computer, lately i been hearing some weirdness from recording just wondering if that could be a problem thanks

I don't know, sorry... It's hard to tell what is plugged correctly or not from here... Ask a friend or ask at the music store for them to help you set up

Last edited:
Back