Basics of Setting Up a Mixer and Audio Recording / Tracking

thanks for the vid. great stuff, incorporated a mixer a couple of months ago, both for using it as a preamp for my microfone and as an ext. router for signals (headphones, tape out for my speakers and connections for diff. instruments...)

def. a good vid. thx

Edit: question for you mano:
How did you set up cubase to read your output from the mixer?

i have had my troubles with this program. everytime i use a audio track for recording the sound goes wrong (like when asio drivers are way too slow - sounds the same!) midi works fine..
due to this i have come to use adobe audition instead, maybe because of the drivers (don't know).
Give some pointers if you come across something...

Anyways thanks again...

Last edited:
really helpful vid...i just started getting into producing, do you think that would be a good mixer for me to get?

^that line of mixers are great if ur starting out. I used to have the model just below that one. Someone stole mine or I would probabaly still have it

Good tutorial and thanks.

I also have the yamaha Mg series mixer but i have the 24 channel one.
The sound quality is really good and the mic pre-amps make the cheapest mic's sound amazing.
The sound quality is good and i mean good,when i play anything through the mixer it sounds spot on.
There is no hiss and it's quality like everything else i've bought from yamaha,plus it just keeps going like my psr keyboard.
A good buy you wont regret, promise!

if you get a mixer, you can ALSO help FP by getting your gear thru the link I posted below the video.

thanks

(+ they have free shipping in most states, etc)

regarding the mixer... yes it is a good model, though my tutorial will apply to most mixers out there. I also love the old Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO and 1204 VLZ PRO ... a bit more expensive though.

Great vid mano, i have a question. I have a daw and a triton, but i'm not shure if i need to thro some money at a mixer, when my comp sequencer has faderz and all that.

what sound card do you have?

you don't always "need" a mixer - if you just have 1 instrument to record from, you may be OK with a decent sound card.

(the mixer is not just about having faders... it lets you switch what gets recorded, when you have several instruments... it also gives you convenient volume knobs/faders to control your speakers in case your sound card is internal without any monitor controls)

M-audio audiophile2496, i know its an older1 but for now it duz good, i also have a padkontrol,for midi playing, and a ART tube preamp,2 shure 58s.

mano would u say that mixer has a good preamp in it for recording vocals

dolla bill said:
mano would u say that mixer has a good preamp in it for recording vocals

I can't speak to that yet sorry.

GAMBITT said:
M-audio audiophile2496, i know its an older1 but for now it duz good, i also have a padkontrol,for midi playing, and a ART tube preamp,2 shure 58s.

if you are doing fine now without a mixer, with enough soundcard inputs and dedicated monitoring /speaker volume control, then you don't need a mixer.

Last edited:
Great vid sir, helped alot. I acually have the same mixer so it doubled the help for me. Thanx.

so the way you have your mixer set up....when you are recording (say acouple bars from your moog )are you getting any latency since you would be monitoring the 2 track coming back after the cpu has processed it? or do you just use the 2 trk return after you recorded everything?

Problem is that now i cant hear any audio coming from my computer. I mean i can its just so low that u can barely hear it. I hear alot of hiss also. When i touch a button on the mpc boooooom!!. (deaf) So my problem is getting the sound to come back from my computer. Im plugged in exactly the way the vid says but still nothing. I can record just fine i think if that helps at all because i think my mixer is broke. :_(

JSINGLEZ33 said:
so the way you have your mixer set up....when you are recording (say acouple bars from your moog )are you getting any latency since you would be monitoring the 2 track coming back after the cpu has processed it? or do you just use the 2 trk return after you recorded everything?

most decent audio interfaces nowaday will not igve you that bad of latency... My SCOPE Project can go down to 1ms but I set it to 13 ms most of the time to save on DSP load ... I don't mind 13 ms of latency.

Mano I have a few questions if you don't mind answering... I own a 1202 VLZ Mackie Mixer... I have my studio monitors plugged into the control room and I have Line 9-10 in to the OUT of my delta m-audio 44, so I can monitor the computer... but when I click the " Assign to main mix button" nothing plays.. curiously.. why is this?

Also.... Should I be recording my drums in mono as well as everything else? (in Cubase)... and is there a way to Control Cubase from my MP buttons and Muting the MPC pads: the only way to only have 1 Pad not muted... is muting every other pad?

sorry for all the questions.. but finally.....should I be recording INTO my computer from the ALT Output.. into the computer or the Main Outputs... and what are the Channel insert "1 , 2, 3 and 4" 1/4" inputs in the back of the mixer?

Thanks man

Decisive:

I do explain what the INSERTS are for I think: it's for hardware effect processors.

ALT outputs is what you want to use... this is what they call GROUP OUT on the yamaha in my video (which I use)

do not plug your computer out back to 9 and 10 ... instead find the TAPE INS / 2 TRACK INS ... this is what I use in the video... litterally this means "audio coming from my recorder... which is what your computer is used as

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Thank you so much..

one more question..

I experience a better quality recording directly into my M-audio Delta 44 from the MPC and the triton then going from the MPC to the mixer and the triton to the mixer THEN to the delta 44.. would you happen to know why?

Back