Starting Tut. Series: Text or Voice? - Thoughts Please

JC Biffro

Sup ya'll,

I'm in the middle of planning the content for my first YouTube tutorial series. I'm on the fence about how I'm going to approach it as to whether I should speak, or explain each step via onscreen text (and not speak). :hmmm:

For those that watch tutorials - which would you prefer? A potentially longer tutorial when talking, or a shorter written step-by-step (with visuals to go with it obviously)? You've then got the option to rewind and re-read.

Cheers!

Last edited:
a combination would be good.....

hard to say which needs which though

think of it like a presentation with a powerpoint summary card for each concept as well as visual demonstrations with spoken word and on-screen text to reinforce the main points.

It's pretty hard to find good tutorials on youtube. Most of the time, the person just go straight to the point, like "You wanna make this sound? Here it is. Copy that.", without explaining why they're doing that. It goes as far as the person just showing you, for example, the main screen of the already tweaked VSTi you searched, and you have to look for yourself at the parameters.

This is my opinion, of course. I like things explained.

I would say both if at all possible. It is nice to be able to listen whilst you work so that you can work on your own project at the same time and use the audio as your guide instead of the visual from time to time. But there are also the times where a visual and written explanation would be a good compliment to the content. If it wasn't too much trouble to do both I think that would be of the best quality. It might also bring you more views and publicity due to how thorough the tutorial was. Thanks! I look forward to seeing your first video!

It's pretty hard to find good tutorials on youtube. Most of the time, the person just go straight to the point, like "You wanna make this sound? Here it is. Copy that.", without explaining why they're doing that. It goes as far as the person just showing you, for example, the main screen of the already tweaked VSTi you searched, and you have to look for yourself at the parameters.

This is my opinion, of course. I like things explained.

It should get to the point quickly and go into detail after. This way you hook on new viewers and the ones that want more info can have it.

Also, if you're going to speak: make sure it's audible.

Back