Some advice needed on new track.

lucas.scott

Just would like some feedback on this new track with a new artist i am working with.I havent been in the rap production game for very long.Havent been making beats nearly as long as some others here.I like making all my beats from scratch , so be gentle

lucas.scott said:
Just would like some feedback on this new track with a new artist i am working with.I havent been in the rap production game for very long.Havent been making beats nearly as long as some others here.I like making all my beats from scratch , so be gentle

Lucas:

You really should try and get your drums as tight as possible first. This is the main ingredient in hip hop/Rap music. A great track will almost always have great sounding drums. Hip Hop is very subjective but usually you have the low 808 (kick) that is eq'd off with a roll off on the 45-60 hz range. You also could put some reverb on your claps to give some snap. I didn't hear a snare or snare rolls (think young jeezy, TI ). I would suggest really listening to what an artist that has tracks that you like is doing and try and hear how things are panned in the mix. What sounds are louder. Why does their track sound like that and mine sounds like this. Then you have the west coast style, the east coast style, and the southern style which all are expected to sound a certain way.

Alot of people that diss hop hop and rap music as a no- brainer and easy to make have never sat down and tried to write beats. It is a lot harder than most people think to make it sound good. I don't know what equipment you are using but the overall volume sounds low on the master track and it doesn't sound like things are quantized. Watch videos and read up on ways to create better signals and tones and then you will save yourself mucho frustration. I hope this helps!:cool:

Thanks studioJoe...I need work on the EQ ..I used the 808 kit and the FM8 and used Reason...Everything was quantized i kinda wanted a laid back,kinda hesitant beat.I really appreciate the feedback.How would you suggest making it less fruity loop-ish? I put some reverb on the clap.As far as the volume goes...i have no idea about mastering.I actually just bought Wavelab5 today...have no idea how to use it.i have maximizing plugins and all that but it never really does anything.If i mess with the settings i just get peaks and distortion.So if anyone uses wavelab,or has advice on getting the volume up , please let me know . Thanks StudioJoe and SBFK

yo, i was feelin the beat, and i appreciated the drums dropping so late. Talk about lettin the beat build! But i hope all of your beats dont have that cleche industry sound. Its a good sound, but versitility is greatly apprecitaed. Keep us posted on your next finished product.

beat sounds quantized, the artists is not however....i dont think you will ever truly like the song if the vocals are left as they are...what im syin is that in this particlar instance, the beat is not ur problem its the rapper

Thanks guys . I have worked on a lot of therse issues.Hopefully i will have an updated version for you guys soon.Thanks for the feedback.

Back