Simple and very useful plugins (Pt. 1)

Snapy Dee

I plan on posting threads like this at least once a week, i basically want to share some pretty simple, small plugins that i have found useful in my production process. Some of the will be free plugins, some won't.

Sausage Fattener by Dada Life
SAUSAGE FATTENER | Dada Life

sausage-fattener-by-dada-life.jpg

This tool looks very simple but it can do so much for your music. It is basically a compressor that you can use to add more punch to your tracks and give them more power. You can use it on mixing bus for separate instruments, and it also works great as a mastering plugin. You will notice that your sound will sound more wide just by adding this plugin, without even touching the knobs.
As we can see, it has 3 knobs. FATNESS knob is used to boost the signal. This is the main knob that brings that punch to your sound, as well as distortion (which depends on how much effect you apply). COLOR knob is basically used for boosting treble (high frequencies) and making your sounds and mix sound brighter. GAIN knob is used for adjusting the overall volume, and there is also a clip indicator right next to it, so you can check the levels of your sounds.

Dominion Transient Designer - Signal modelling device
digitalfishphones.com - audio freeware plugins by Sascha Eversmeier

dominion-transient-designer-sound-modelling-device.jpg

I have picked Dominion because it is the one that i use, but there are a lot of transient designers that can do the same. You can adjust the sustain levels to get the sound that you want. For an example, if you're working with an old school sample from '70s or '80s, there is probably some unwanted background noise in the sound. With transient designer, you can reduce sustain level to easily remove that noise. If you're sampling an old school drum break, you can reduce the sustain until noise is gone and then adjust the attack level to add more punch, make your drums sound more clean and give them more impact. Your drums won't sound like a dirty sample loop anymore. However, you can also increase the sustain if you want your drums to give that dirty, old school feeling.

CamelCrusher by CamelAudio
https://www.camelaudio.com/support.php
CamelCrusher | Compressor, Distortion, Filter ? Audio Plugins for Free*|*Audio Plugins for Free

camel-crusher-camel-audio.jpg

CamelCrusher plugin can be used for bass, drums, or other instruments, but i've learned that most people are using it for bass, 808s in particular. It has a compressor, filter and you can adjust distortion. The plugin has a few built-in presets that work great, some of them will add more distortion to your bass, and some are more focused on low frequencies. This is a very simple plugin that allows you to easily make your bass stand out more in the mix.

Back