[Product Review] San MG - Ableton Push 2 Wooden Stand

Haive_Music

Hey guys - I figure there are a lot of you out there who, like myself, utilize an Ableton Push in their productions. I've come to rely very heavily upon mine, and it's even gone as far as replacing all my other midi-controllers and also my electronic piano that I used to use. Such an amazing device deserves a nice high-quality stand that doesn't break the wallet, and after a long time of searching, I believe I've finally found one that fits the bill, looks gorgeous, and angles the Push up perfectly on an otherwise flat desk. I've included a short snippet of my complete review below. I hope you'll find the information and review to be helpful.

You'll find the complete in-depth product review as well as other pictures here:
San MG Ableton Push 2 Wooden Stand - Haive Music

San MG Ableton Push 2 Wooden Stand

Is the San MG Ableton Push 2 Wooden Stand the perfect complement for your Ableton Push 2?

It just may be!

Anyone who has an Ableton Push 2 controller (and uses it regularly) knows that while this is a lovely piece of equipment, having it sitting there flush on your desk or workspace isn’t really the best angle for it. That is, unless you’re generally standing up, or sit well above your desk/workspace. For me (and probably many others), that’s not the case.

I’ve been looking around for a viable option to angle the stand up slightly toward me for a good long while now. My criteria was simple. It obviously needed to have a static or adjustable angle. It needed to be sturdy, stable, high quality, and properly fit the Ableton Push 2. Finally, it needed to be affordable. The San MG stand meets all of my requirements and then some! Plus, it doesn’t hurt that it’s easy on the eyes, too!

After scouring the web for what other people have used to hold their gorgeous Push 2 controllers up at an angle, I found lots of solutions that were being used. A lot of the more affordable options such as the dirt-cheap universal laptop stands that can be found at IKEA for around $5 each seemed ‘okay’ at first glance, but they ultimately didn’t fit the controller very well.
Sure, they were affordable, even portable (if that’s important to you), but for me, I wanted something that offered a better and more stable fit and design. That realization alone left almost all universal options – both those made for controllers and those options that weren’t – off the table.

Enter custom made controller housings. Here again, there are several options to choose from. Most are made of wood, but the quality and price of them varies greatly by manufacturer. I had originally stumbled upon a company called Mixing Table. They custom make absolutely gorgeous hand-crafted wooden stands and (you guessed it) mixing tables for producers. They had a stand I’d been drooling over since I first stumbled upon it, but that level of craftsmanship and higher-end materials come at a cost. They weren’t cheap, coming in at around $220 + shipping. Yikes! They make a beautiful stand, but I needed something more affordable.

Continuing my search I found a lot of less expensive knock-off stands located around the web. Most of them were nothing more than cheap plywood with fake wood stickers stuck to the outsides to give the impression they were ‘real wood’. What’s shocking about these units is they were going for around $60-80 a pop (plus shipping), and looked like they were made from scrap parts laying around. More so, they were basically just bolted together with cheap hardware store parts, most even having bolts protruding out from the sides that were responsible for holding the Push 2 in place, utilizing no real ‘base’. Not real good support for the Push 2, although they claim they do that to improve airflow to the Push, but the Push 2 doesn’t really get hot. It’s evident these companies are buying up cheap parts in bulk and reselling them for huge profit gains. No thanks – NEXT!

I had almost given up my search when I randomly stumbled upon a post one day. The author mentioned a company called San MG which resided in Poland. He said they made a beautiful wooden stand for the Ableton Push 2 that was affordable, real wood, hand crafted, and available in 2 colors. This, I had to see. I went to their website, and sure enough, they offered exactly what he was describing. Gorgeous design, actual real wood with your choice of either Light Oak or Dark Merbau. At the time, the desk I was using was dark and so I opted for the Dark Merbau unit, only to replace my production desk with a light oak colored one a few weeks later. No complaints though – the Dark Merbau unit looks great, even on a lighter colored desk. I’m sure the light oak stand would look great on a dark desk too should you choose to go that route instead. In either case, it’s very clear the stand has been made with care, and the whole thing screams quality.

As far as Pros and Cons for this particular stand go .....

Last edited:
Back