MPK mini KEYS + PAD SENSITIVITY MOD!!

AugustJL

Whats up, so I just bought the Mpk mini from guitar center (~$107 after tax, w/e) and I'm not gonna front, you get what you pay for. BUT, after doing both of these mods, its definitely a great keyboard.

MATERIALS:
  • Scissors
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Tape (I used 3-layers of scotch tape for pads/ 1-layer of Gorilla tape for the KEYS)
  • Music to pass time
Taking it apart/PAD sensitivity: cant post links yet :/ but use the search on here, its in this forum

That's what I followed, but heads up:
  • WATCH OUT FOR THE RIBBON CABLE!!
  • The tape under the PADS can't have bubbles
  • You dont need to fully assemble it again to test it, just put all the screws on the pad motherboard to test the pads. Or for keys, just screw the keys back, plug in the ribbon cable, then the USB to test
Now for the keys
  1. Undo the couple screws at the top of the keys starting from left to right.photo 1.JPG
  2. Make sure your careful removing the keys!! Slide the keys towards you, then lift up. The black keys slide into the white keys so watch out for that too.
  3. Check out the square grid surfaces under the keys, this is where you'll put the tape. SIDE NOTE: I feel only the white keys need tape since you strike these farther from the sensor compared to the black keys. Simple physics if you wanna do the research.photo 2.JPG
  4. Here's a pic of the sensors just for reference. You don't need to do anything to these.photo 3.JPG
TAPE: I used 1 layer of Gorilla tape, but here's a list for different types of tape (Personally haven't tested these so leave a comment if you do):
  • 6-7 layers for SCOTCH TAPE
  • 3-5 for PAINTER TAPE
  • 2-3 for DUCT TAPE
  1. (<<<-- Should be step 5 but w/e, dont trip) Cut the tape into squares that'll fit on these areas (about 1/4" - 3/8")
  2. Place the keys back, screw them back in (DONT OVERTIGHTEN, Leave them a tad loose) and then TEST.
  3. Adjust to your liking, then put it all back together.
Hope this helps make your hardware better, and I bet you can apply this to other boards/pads. Now make some hits!

Last edited:
Back