Making that deep subbass

DaveyBrite

Ok guy so, ive made plenty of tracks but i can never get the bass to sound like modern day bass, (e.g, drum and bass, which is my style) I've watched plenty of tutorials but they dont help. i dont know if its simply the way im equalizing it or mastering it but it always sounds so cheap.

Would really appreciate some help on this matter, Thanks!
Davey Brite

-Fart in a miq
-cut the highs
-timestretch or loop a mili-sec
-put a bitcrusher on it & maybe distortion
-wil sound better than most bass vst's out there:pointing:

But seriously get an s950 and sample single bass-notes from old d&b-jungle records or try to get single notes from old analog synths,
the lowpass-filter on the s950 is magic.

Also listen to a lot of old dub to understand bass

Last edited:
lmao ^^. Rob Papen's SubBoomBass is a sick vst for bass music!

Thanks for the replies fellas. Any ideas where i could get hold of an analogue bass? Or even how i could create one myself?

Okay I'm gonna jump in and say you don't need an analog synth to get deep subby bass sounds. I have a Moog Voyage RME, Moog Slim Phatty and a pretty gnarly Modular Synth (Eurorack format).. So trust me I know all about analog synths. Honestly some analog modeling VST's nowadays do a great job, so good I've even started to consider selling my Voyager. Ok so you want details.. I'm a big fan of Strobe by FXpansion for subby goodness. Unfortunately it's only available for purchase as a package with three other synths. The upside is they're all really nice synths and you'll get all of them for a hell of a lot cheaper than any one analog synth. And this is just one example.. Now don't get me wrong, I love the sound of analog, but it's not necessary for deep sub bass. ALSO, without the proper EQing, any synth will sound bad. Low end content is the hardest aspect of mixing audio, you really need to get to know your monitors, and even then it's wise to do a lot of cross-referencing if you want to get it right. Have patience, practice a lot of EQing in the 40Hz-250Hz range, and learn the different filter types in an EQ (bell, notch, high shelf, low shelf, high pass & low pass). Happy engineering. :)

haha wow thanks for the info buddy. Yea for the past few nights ive been working on a tune. Seemed to be mastering and EQing alot better now. Even without an analogue bass, my current bass seems to sit in well. Will take a look at these packages!

Good to hear! Just keep at it and you'll get it down.

P.S. Don't confuse mixing with mastering, most people don't even know the difference but they really are two separate processes. When blending the individual instruments in a song with EQ, panning, compression, time based effects and other types of signal processing, you're "mixing." Mastering is the signal processing that is applied to an entire mix once you've bounced it down into a two-track/stereo format. When mastering an entire album you also have to maintain stable fluidity (loudness, frequency balance, etc.) between all of the songs, in a way it is like you're mixing all of the songs.

edited horrible grammar

Last edited:
Also remember that you will have to build your track around the huge sub synth as it's always going to lose out if you start bringing in a huge kick and huge snare and huge everything else. It's about perception and balance.

Back