Making beats on headphones..

Trenchant said:
how come my mixes sound better when i use headphones than my monitors?
Your room might be bad acoustically, or you might just have bad placement of the monitors.

That's all assuming they're 'quality' monitors though.

lol.....they're not. KRK Rokit 5s.

that, most likely coupled with bad acoustics and placement is probably the cause.

i don't even know why i typed that, lol, i guess i was just typing out loud.

headphones

Right now I'm using Phillips SHS5200's. $14 and they sound great....to me anyway. And theres thread like-coating on the chord, to protect it from damage.

i find that my headphones lack the low end sometimes...so i turn on my monitors and damn that snare is loud as fuuck lol. if i have to do my tracks in headphones cuz people are sleeping i never finish it till i can put it on the monitors and mix there.

I need to be isolated , my whole career ive used nothing but headphones.. u can check my mixes.. i dont need monitors all i use is my byerdynamic dt770s.. best headphones ever..

The-Chronics89 said:
Anyone else hate headphones with a passion? Lol. It's 12am and I'm mad cause I can't make any beats, and even if I did I'd wake up in the morning and delete that sh!t anyway.
I'm using nice AKGs over here.
they don't feel "unnatural" at all. good linear response from the lows to the highs.

only thing you have to watch while monitoring beats thru headphones is to make the tracks "wetter" than they are. headphones accentuate the reverbs and other fx, so you actually have to turn them up, otherwise the track will end up too dry.
that's the caveat.

I even have a pair of ones with a "head speaker". lol
one that vibrates when playing sub-frequencies. :bigeyes:

yup, JLP got all that weird geek $hit. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm going to get some AKG's next week. I've been hearing nothing but good things about them.

i got some cheap speakers but i still prefer them over the headphones... headphones always leave my ears aching

Broken Friday said:
Mixing on headphones should not be your primary source for mixing. It should be more so used for reference.
my main room has 60k mains (plus two 18" subs), NS10Ms and Events as near-fields, Mackies as mid-fields, $30 Creative computer speakers. there's a THX-surround room (yes, a certified one) one door away, just in case............I use the computer speakers 90% of the time.

I don't know how many of you got mains in your home studios :-)cry:).
so they can't be the MAIN (no pun) reference.
if you are serious about your craft and get used to monitoring thru headphones (it takes time, YES!), then the monitoring system ALONE doesn't equate to GREAT MIX QUALITY.

we are a community, where 90% of the people have semi-pro equipment/computer-only setups, 9% have semi-pro home studios and 1% has access to world class facilities.
you have to make compromises if you belong to the 99% fraction.

if you make the beats, compose them, engineer/mix them and maybe even record and mix the vocals (or in some cases even end up writing the songs/bars), you can't compete with TEAMS anyway.
you can't compete with WORLD CLASS STUDIOS.

that doesn't mean in the slightest sense, that you will end up with some crap coming out your speakers. that's the good thing about the 21st century.
so yeah, if you are a teen living with your parents, save some money for $100-250 headphones, instead of putting $800-1500 mid fields in your untreated bedroom.

if you can't come up with great music because of your headphones, an SSL board and 300k worth of outboard won't help you either.

P.S.: you don't have to be a great singer or beatmaker either. as long as you are willing to put hard work into the END PRODUCT, it's all good. just trying to send out a POSITIVE MESSAGE.

here's an example - most of you guys could've made it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ lol, dudes think im lying or joking when i say i mix on ipod headphones

ive actually gotten more compliments from my mixes that were on pure ipod headphones

then when i was mixing on KRK's..

I get migranes very easy (like I visit the doctor for them), so there's no way I'd use headphones all the time, I just use them when recording vocals.

I'm making beats on some SONY MDR-V300's right now...

HOT BLAZIN' MF'N NAPALM !!!

... everything besides the mix... and some overtweaked effects...

Back