How to sidechain in FL Studio (Beginers tutorial)

firewalk

Short and straight to the point tutorial, showing how to sidechain in FL Studio using only native plugins.

you did eventually get to the point
but an easier way is to put FL PEAK CONTROLLER on the kick. then the sound you want
side chained, right click the volume of the sound hit "LINK TO CONTROLLER"
from the dropdown box hit INVERTED and find the PEAK CONTROLLER on the kick. its alot easier than what you did

cheers

you did eventually get to the point
but an easier way is to put FL PEAK CONTROLLER on the kick. then the sound you want
side chained, right click the volume of the sound hit "LINK TO CONTROLLER"
from the dropdown box hit INVERTED and find the PEAK CONTROLLER on the kick. its alot easier than what you did

cheers

Thank for the input. :)
That's also a way to do it. I will probably make a tutorial showing that method as well. :)
The absolute easiest way would be to just put lfotool or a similar plugin on the track in question. But that was not the purpose of this tutorial.
I wanted to show the absolute beginner how to sidechain the old school way, using a compressor with native plugins.
It has a different sound characteristic than what automated volume ducking like the peak controller, lfotool, kickstart, grossbeat etc offers. All though the latter is the most used these days (for it's simplicity), it's still very useful to know how to do this using a compressor.
It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I usually use plugins like lfotool or kickstart for most things myself. But in some cases I actually use this method with a compressor instead, when I want to achieve a specific result. For example it can be used to catch the transients or peaks, for example if you have a melody and a counter melody playing at the same time, and you want one melody to stand out over the other, so you sidechain the main melody to the counter melody. Doing that with a compressor gives a totally different sound than just ducking the volume because you can set it up to just catch the peaks. With volume ducking alone you would lower the entire overall volume of the sound and not just the peaks. But that's for a different and more advanced tutorial.
I think everyone should know how to sidechain using a compressor. :)

Back