How to: Make a simple kickdrum

LightyEyez

Nintendo 64
You can use just about any synthesizer to do this. Here I am making the body of the kick, by rapidly down pitching a sine wave. In serum or massive, simply drag an envelope to the semi tone control. Note the decay and sustain settings.

Once it sounds right, I print the midi into audio. The body of the kick looks like this on an analyzer. Nice and round.

I use an eq to clean it up the ends.

I copy the same audio file of the body again, and place a reverb on it at 100% wet to get stereo width out of the kick. I then bring the volume of that track up until i can feel the reverb. Headphones work great for this. This is what the reverb body looks like on the analyzer. "Note: Using Sends out to busses for reverbs works great as well" "On a calculator, Take 60,000 ms and divide it by the bpm of your track. My tracks are usually 100 bpm. At 1/64 note, my reverb is timed at 37 ms. Your reverbs decay, attack and predelay make up the total time. Attack of 3, decay of 30, and predelay of 4 = 37 ms.

Here, I use an eq using a hipass and low pass filter to shave off some low end and high end of the reverb track

For the click of the kick drum, I used a drum sample. I cut the click off of the sample, and used an eq. I then made another exact copy of the click, and placed a short reverb on it set at 100% wet. I mixed in the reverb click till I can barely hear it. "Note: The body reverb covers the lower part of the spectrum. The click reverb covers the higher end of the spectrum"

Click looks like this on the analyzer

Eq on click

Here, I sidechain the click to the body of the kick. I am getting about -3 db reduction on the threshold.

Next, I print both the body and the click together "Also known as bouncing" to form a single kick drum sample. Looks like this on the analyzer.

Next, I high shelf a whopping +18 db boost at 6200 hz into a 4:2 compressor getting -4db of gain reduction. There is a little -3db subtraction at 400 hz. "Trust your ears when using eq"

Quick attack, slow release, molding a tight kick. Slow attack, quick release forms a fatty kick.

Finally, I do some controlled clipping on the kick drum. If you look far right on the plugin at the protection panel, there is a knob set to digital clip. I clip the drum just a tad for saturation.

here is the kick via dropbox if you want to hear it or use it. :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3uusohi711xu1d/Lightyeyez-kick.wav?dl=0

Last edited:
Back