How to make reason into a "virtual MPC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

3D Beats

3rdstop.com
I made this video accouple of weeks ago for my site but after reading some posts here, i thought it might be helpful for those on this site.

This basically lets you use the DR.Rex or NNXT sampler in the same way that an mpc works using a controller as a trigger. I bascially does the same thing as the "MONO" function on an akai mpc.

Check 3rdstop.com for more tutorials

A more acurate title is how to use dr f*ckin' rex. But props good tutorial for newcomers of reason.

3D Beats said:
I made this video accouple of weeks ago for my site but after reading some posts here, i thought it might be helpful for those on this site.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KgAnamZT4PE

This basically lets you use the DR.Rex or NNXT sampler in the same way that an mpc works using a controller as a trigger. I bascially does the same thing as the "MONO" function on an akai mpc.

Check 3rdstop.com for more tutorials

You can't hear the sample. A good foundation none the less but it might be good to hear something too. just letting you know.

GreenBurn said:
Propellerhead's Reason can't replicate Akai's d/a converters.

Yes, but at least the 2k and newer sound very clean.....not unlike your budget soundcard.
There was nothing special about my mpc2k's ad/da's.
Nothing that stood out as unique either.

Yeah, the volume of the sample is kind of low. I should redo it but i figure if people are interested, they will give it a try.

As for sound, sure, reason doesn't sound exactly like an mpc. But you can make it have the same functionality of an mpc. If you want it to sound like an mpc, just get an akai rack of the equivalant model for cheap and run the sample through their, on to your computer. For about $50, you can have the same sound as the 2000xl as well.

hey u kno how to do this with the nnxt???

did everythin in the video on the nnxt and didnt work.

but of course did with the dr.

Resinate said:
hey u kno how to do this with the nnxt???

did everythin in the video on the nnxt and didnt work.

but of course did with the dr.

which release knob did you turn? If you did everything right, which is two things...changing polyphony to 1 and the release all the way to the right (the release knob at the top of the device) then you should be golden.

this isn't emulating the reason people get the mp. it's the workflow not the features. fl studio is just as good if not better featurewise.

a mpd + fl or reason + mpd or whatever will not be like the mpc.

good tutorial though.

Last edited:
bobsmitt said:
this isn't emulating the reason people get the mp. it's the workflow not the features. fl studio is just as good if not better featurewise.

good tutorial though.
I think in terms of feel, how i work, etc, it's very similar. That's my oppinion. But, i really was just showing how to make reason sample like the poly on an mpc

bobsmitt said:

good tutorial though.

do you have a MPC?

how do you do that in the nn-xt please but the video great i didnt know that either, but try mostly to use nn-xt but im try that though, oh do have a way having the mpc style sequence or swing in reason

dolla bill said:
how do you do that in the nn-xt please but the video great i didnt know that either, but try mostly to use nn-xt but im try that though, oh do have a way having the mpc style sequence or swing in reason
It's the same thing in the nn-xt. The only difference is you change the polyphony in the "G sample" part. Pick the first sample, change the polyphony to 1.

As for mpc style sequencing, it's already similar. When you trigger a note of your controller, it puts it closest to where your quantize settings are. Just like an mpc would do. It just has more options.

As for swing, just use the swing tool stuff if you have 4.0. If you don't, you can only swing your drums in the redrum, to my knowledge. Then just adjust it. It's not quite as good as an mpc but good enough.

bobsmitt said:

good tutorial though.
finally someone gets it. did u end up gettin rid of ur 1k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back