How to get that punchy sound

drinannini

Ok, I'm not really a big fan of this french electro house the mid 2000s, like Justice and etc. But there's this guy i'm really into these days.. SebastiAn. Still not a fan of his music, but his productions techniques makes me wonder what the f*ck is his secret.

What does he do to get such an agressive/punchy sound? I head of parallel compression but didnt get the expected results. Is it a trick he does on the drums? Or in the synths? It's just so.. strong, but not necessarily heavy, if you know what I mean.

Examples:
Sebastian - Ross Ross Ross - this is classic
Sebastian - Kindercut - on the 1:08, it's EXACTLY what i want to achieve
The Rapture - Get myself into it (Sebastian remix) - the lead synth from this remix is also really really punchy.

That's it. Some tips or help would be great. Thank you!

After searching for the same, I figured out it has almost everything to do with the compression. Also, I noticed the sound itself has to WANT to be punchy. If it is really dull, it wont sound punchy even with good compression. What I found easiest is, putting a compressor on the master track, and then a compressor on each individual sound. So that way you get to really dial in what you want.

That's great. Gonna try that, thanks :D

It's funny, because everybody says i have to parallel compress the drums. But the thing is that i feel the punch comes from the synth. Might be a mind-trick, tho.

Another good example, that to me, shows me what i just said:
Sebastian - Embody.

This guy is great, man, this guy is really great.

Back