how to get that "crisp" snare

D

DROPPINUM

besides getting the highest quality snare possible, is there a technique to making your snares more crispier.. like that "PPSSHH" sound...

layer meaning adding a different snare? or the same 1 over it again?

i meant layering different snares. but you can also layer the same snare with one pitched up or down a couple half-steps. also, read a tutorial or watch a video on parallel compression and apply that to your snare. i added "magic" into the equation because there's not really a set formula. just a matter of how knowloedgable you are of different techniques and knowing when and how to apply them.

aight fams i got you.. also, i try this alot just 2 play around..

(1-10)= volume of drum
snare=7
clap=4
rim shot=6
a good technique of layering?
but i dont really pitch them up or down, but imma try dat now

Last edited by a moderator:
normally i wouldnt do this...

- best snares (imo) come from funk and classic rock. Dig!
- find a clean open hat... if its too long.. tighten it up.
- find a snare from a beatbox solo. (you should find lots of that in late 80s hip hop)

- tune & layer together
- compress (compressing is like learning how to shift gears on a big truck going up hill.. invest time!)
- eq (tweak)
- tighten (shorten release / decay)
- if after compression the snare is hittin too hard .. soften the attack...
- add slight reverb
- if you're on a mpc change the record to "mainout" and sample yourself playing the final product.

thats how i make crisp "psssht" snares.

Something else to consider when layering is the transient of each hit, displacing them by a few milliseconds will thicken up the sound.

ok got you.. i thought you would hit them all each exactly on time

We are only talking a matter of milliseconds, adjust each one with your kick playing underneath them and stop when you get to a sound you like.

aight i got you.. i use an mpc, so i would have 2 go into the edit mode and change the millisecond on w/e drum im applyin the layering to.. got you famz

just another thought to add to all this drum talk.... dont quantize drums.. and dont set the pads to full volume.. sensitivity at 7 works good for me.. when my drum sequences are too long i do 1 bar sequences and put em all together on song mode.. all my mpc heads know what i mean

i dont like 2 quantize my drums.. thats something i want ppl 2 notice, so i can have my style.. i was also talkin to some other guy on here about quantization and all dat.. 2 me it doesn't feel human on any quantization, but dats just me you kno...

yeah i hear you .. i only quantize my trap beats... but for hip hop quantizin is equivalent to doin the robot at the club the whole night lol

yea i dont really make trap beats or those anthem beats, because every 1 is doing da the same thing.. im good wit ma east coast boom boom bap style

aight fams i got you.. also, i try this alot just 2 play around..

(1-10)= volume of drum
snare=7
clap=4
rim shot=6
a good technique of layering?
but i dont really pitch them up or down, but imma try dat now

I like this idea! I'm trained thoroughly in this ish and never saw this one. Good ish!

Back