Grandpa Soundstone ... and the Theory of Everything

rofilm

Hello my friends!
The first of 100 (one hundred) parts about the entire realm of music, computers and sound is online now. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sound But Were Afraid to Ask.
Grandpa Soundstone Video 1, Raspberry Pi Part 1:

Grandpa Soundstone Video 1 Raspberry Pi 1 - YouTube

Let me tell you, what grandpa Soundstone has to say about this project:

Hello,
I´m grandpa Soundstone and I´ve decided to learn something new. I´vedecided to learn coding sound, building MIDI controllers, buildingsequencers and even synthesizers and samplers, programming microchipsand a lot more.

I want to know what´s going on under the hood of my VSTs, my DAWs, myhardware synths, my controllers and my computers. I want tounderstand this and I want to influence and master it yself, want tobuild, to change and to optimise the goings on, which make myspeakers vibrate.

I´ve decided to learn everything about computers, that´s relevant formaking music and sound and building equipment.

And– my friends – this is no show, no fake learning! I´ll really belearning myself in this series.
I will learn, I will let you watch me learning and getting experiencesand I hope – and think – you will learn as well. I maycoincidentially come across something I already know, know wellenough to explain it to you. But mainly it´s going to be a “learnit yourself by doing it yourself”.

So– this series is going to be an adventure, a journey throughhardware and software and sound and music and music productionequipment and instruments and computer languages and physics of soundand and and...

It´sgoing to be a “learn it yourself by doing it yourself”. I´veordered a Raspberry Pi to start with.
Idon´t now anything about it. I ordered it following the advice of afriend of mine.

Andhere it is.
Ithas just arrived.

Letme have a look, what I´ve got here.”

Sofar the words of grandpa Soundstone. For me there´s only one thingleft to say:
Enjoythe journey! (And don´t forget to tell everybody about it.)
Rolf

Grandpa_Pi_1.jpg

Last edited:
The second part of Grandpa Soundstone´sexpedition to the realm of sound, computer and music is online:
Grandpa Soundstone Video 2/100 Getting the Raspberry Pi to Work - YouTube

In this part Grandpa Soundstone getshis Raspberry Pi to work (after making some mistakes). He hopes to bewell prepared to start coding sound now. Let´s all hope with him andwish him “Good Luck, Grandpa Soundstone!” So, the next video –video 3/100 – will (hopefully) be about how to “make theRaspberry Pi sing”.

By the way: Isn´t that series (goingto be) more interesting than one of those soap opera´s? Or shall Icall it a “soap opera of sound” ? Or is it simply a documentationof the difficult and rocky way of an old man to building soundmachines, the bumpy road to “enlightenment” (or may I say“ensonification” :-)? Anyway: Have a good time! Rolf
vid2.JPG

Part 3/100 of Grandpa Soundstonetravelling through the world of computers, coding and sound isonline.

YouTube

After roaming through the operatingsystem and some applications he manages to squeeze the first soundsout of the Raspberry Pi. First analogue then HDMI. Then – at theend – Grandpa gives us a kind of forecast of what ways he´s goingto take, which roads he´s going to go into coding sound and buildingsound machines like synths, sequencers or simply controllers.
Well, may I call this series: “watchingsomebody making 1 Million mistakes in 100 parts before getting great results”?
Have a good time!
Rolf
vid3.jpg

Back