finding it difficult to make a beat :(

Tripodi Beats

I'm new to the beat making game and i would say i know the basics of fruity loops 10. I keep trying to make beats, but here's my problem. I can get a good drum, hihat/clap and snare loop going but then when it comes time for me to make some sort of melody to give it life I just can't seem to do it :(. I don't currently own a midi keyboard which is most likely why I'm having problems but I listen to so many original youtube instrumentals and they inspire me alot but then I can't wrap my mind around how they have such cool sounding leads and synths and what not. Am I missing plugins or something? I get so uninspired when my ideas fail but I'd just really like to know how to make a really dope melody or a noise that will add life to my beat

Am I missing plugins or something?

Another one of these post.. You tell me do you have plugins? I'm sure you're drumloop is rather stale as well. Right now it's cause you don't have a keyboard, then it'll be cause you don't know how to play, then it'll be cause you don't know music theory, then who knows what. Lol if Lex can do it so can you. You can play with your QWERTY keyboard, so rly there's no excuses. You can even right-click the option in FL that does so to play different scales.

Another one of these post.. You tell me do you have plugins? I'm sure you're drumloop is rather stale as well. Right now it's cause you don't have a keyboard, then it'll be cause you don't know how to play, then it'll be cause you don't know music theory, then who knows what. Lol if Lex can do it so can you. You can play with your QWERTY keyboard, so rly there's no excuses. You can even right-click the option in FL that does so to play different scales.

yea i've done my fair share of searching too, but appreciated. sometimes it's good to get a slap of reality, i'll see what i can do with the computer keyboard for now!

also, i don't have any plugins right now no... this is so noob but do i need them?

Try going to Youtube and downloading some flp remakes of commercial songs you like. There are a bunch on youtube...just type in flp remakes in the search engine. Assuming it's a decent remake, you can then see how the melodies, chord progressions, etc. were put together. Having a midi keyboard definitely helps, but shouldn't prevent you from making beats. You can draw in melodies, chord progressions, etc. in the piano roll. And yes, you probably want to start obtaining some descent vsts. Try finding one with some good presets and just mess around. As you get more advanced you can start tweaking and making your own sounds. Soundfonts are also a good place to start...many are free and have a pretty solid sound.

Last edited:
If you cant make a decent melody maybe your uninspired by the drums. I can start with drums and throw a melody down after no problem, but 90% of the time it works out better if I do the melodies then work on the drums after. Unless its one of those drum driven hype dance tracks.

FL has a lot of workable stuff in it already...learn the basics and generals for the plugins that are in FL already...If you go out n get more plugins it wont make a difference you'll get the plugin to click <previous|
</previous|><previous| <previous|=""
</previous|>(Previous<previous}<previous| <previous|=""
| Preset |Next) probably wont like most of them as they come anyway. I'd get some more drums though. You can use them but from what I remember when I used FL is they're kind of ass and recognized from a mile away by other users of FL.</previous}

Last edited:
why not start with the melody and add the drums later, figure out a chord progression you want to use then build your melody and bassline around that. once you make something you like ideas for the drums should become much clearer

HEY HEY HEY go into details about this right click scale option?????????????

Back