Emu Command Station and Roland Sp606 Sampler part 1 continued

infamous twitch

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/leUg2Hhr5oM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/leUg2Hhr5oM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thanks

Yo, I appreciate your tuts on the Emu CS man. I have the PX7, owned it now for about 2 or 3 years and love it. I did wonder how you got Sonar to recognize it. You mentioned it in your previous video about using it as a sound module. Anyways, I'd love to see you continue to make vids on the CS, I'm watching close for new tricks, tips, and just basic stuff I never even knew.

Thanks again for your time.

I did wonder how you got Sonar to recognize it.

Aw man that is the easiest.. This is why I love sonar.. Sonar has the Xl-1, Mo'Phatt, B3, Virtusuo already in their setup.. so all you have to do is click on which midi channel.. Go to your Instrument Definitions list in SOnar.. and you get to choose form over 20 pieces of gear by roland, emu alesis..etc. and this helps oyu out so much, no more what note is this you cna change it's pad banks and the good news is that everything is labelled just like it is in your CS.. Example..kicks are 021, snare 1 is 032 and so on.. I will do a vid on this....

I'd love to see you continue to make vids on the CS, I'm watching close for new tricks, tips, and just basic stuff I never even knew.

Thanks.. When I get to beat making I will show you the actually tricks.. Is there anything you want me to do a vid on?

infamous twitch said:
Aw man that is the easiest.. This is why I love sonar.. Sonar has the Xl-1, Mo'Phatt, B3, Virtusuo already in their setup.. so all you have to do is click on which midi channel.. Go to your Instrument Definitions list in SOnar.. and you get to choose form over 20 pieces of gear by roland, emu alesis..etc. and this helps oyu out so much, no more what note is this you cna change it's pad banks and the good news is that everything is labelled just like it is in your CS.. Example..kicks are 021, snare 1 is 032 and so on.. I will do a vid on this....

Thanks.. When I get to beat making I will show you the actually tricks.. Is there anything you want me to do a vid on?

I thought I tried doing that in Sonar 6...going to the midi instruments, but I never see EMU anything. I'll have to look again and tell you what I see.

If you make a vid showing that, and how you use it to your advantage that would be great. Also, I basically use my EMU PX7, a keyboard for MIDI and EMU X2 for sampling and more sounds. I would love to know if I use these three to their fullest potential, so if you have any ideas of how you would use them, possibly by using your own equipment and just talking through it, I'm sure I'll learn a little here and there. I'm not a newby, but many other people use techniques that we can all benefit from in our own way ya know? Again, thanks! It seems like you love helping.

I thought I tried doing that in Sonar 6...going to the midi instruments, but I never see EMU anything. I'll have to look again and tell you what I see.

Here it's hidden...

Go to your Options

Click on Instruments

Look to the right and click on DEFINE

Then click on IMPORT

If it doesn't show up then follow this..

go to my documents

choose cakewalk

select Sonar 7 or 6 whichever one you have

click on Sample content

and select EMU and your good to go

it contains all of emu's products

If you make a vid showing that, and how you use it to your advantage that would be great.

Yeah. I will do that and post this weekend, I will do that on my laptop since that has a LCD screen and not my CRT screens.

Also, I basically use my EMU PX7, a keyboard for MIDI and EMU X2 for sampling and more sounds. I would love to know if I use these three to their fullest potential, so if you have any ideas of how you would use them, possibly by using your own equipment and just talking through it, I'm sure I'll learn a little here and there. I'm not a newby, but many other people use techniques that we can all benefit from in our own way ya know?

I hear ya.. Okay the PX-7 CS I would use to trigger my samples from X2 for sure.. remember Emu is all connected kinda like the yamaha M-Lan.
You should be able to tweak all your filters on your PX-7 and it the filters on X2... I would assign my samples to pads instead of using the keyboard.. in my opinion.. What midi keyboard do you have?
Let me think about this for a minute.. I post back tonight

Again, thanks! It seems like you love helping.

Yeah I love helping out others when I have time.. I moderate the Fostexusa site and forum.. I use to for Sony, I also did for Lexicon.. but I decided to stick with making music and just moderating only 1 forum..

Last edited:
you're a huge help man. wow, that moderating must've kept you crazy busy. I have an OLD casio, big two speaker joint. I don't really use it for sounds. I'll be waiting for the weekend to see the vid if you get around to it.

Infamous...something that keeps driving me crazy is ever since I hooked up MIDI cables to the PX7, when I turn it on, it automatically changes the presets on my patterns. Every single pattern saved is now set up with the same instruments on all channels. many times because of this I end up erasing 5 or 6 patterns that are too screwed up to reset the presets to. Do you know what it could be?

infamous twitch said:
Here it's hidden...

Go to your Options

Click on Instruments

Look to the right and click on DEFINE

Then click on IMPORT

If it doesn't show up then follow this..

go to my documents

choose cakewalk

select Sonar 7 or 6 whichever one you have

click on Sample content

and select EMU and your good to go

it contains all of emu's products

It worked...NOW, I guess I'm way more NEWBIE than I thought, because now that I've loaded those instruments, what do I do with it? I opened a MIDI track in sonar, and I'm sitting here looking stupid because I can't trigger the sounds (of course I changed the channel to EMU proteus and selected a patch). The notes show up in the grid on sonar, but no sound...Sound does work when I play back some audio from the same program. ??

Last edited:
I'll be waiting for the weekend to see the vid if you get around to it.

I will do it...

something that keeps driving me crazy is ever since I hooked up MIDI cables to the PX7, when I turn it on, it automatically changes the presets on my patterns.Every single pattern saved is now set up with the same instruments on all channels. many times because of this I end up erasing 5 or 6 patterns that are too screwed up to reset the presets to. Do you know what it could be?

Are you sure it's the midi cables? I know it does this when I start a different pattern for example-->>> If I have a Sub Bass only channel 9 for pattern 1, when I switch to pattern 2 for a different vibe/song I have the same Sub Bass on channel 9 for that one also..

If you want it completely different then use multisetups and that will hold all your information for that pattern and then the next pattern will happen the same as it's described aboved.. but it won't change the 1 pattern.. It's kinda hard to explain, I can PM you my number or create a video..

Also you can always re-initalize the PX-7 just the midi part.. I'm sure you know how to do this upon start up right?

because now that I've loaded those instruments, what do I do with it? I opened a MIDI track in sonar, and I'm sitting here looking stupid because I can't trigger the sounds (of course I changed the channel to EMU proteus and selected a patch). The notes show up in the grid on sonar, but no sound...Sound does work when I play back some audio from the same program. ??

Now make sure you have the Sonar instrument matching your Rom inside the PX-7 if you don't have the proteus sound then it will play weird and you won''t get all the sounds (as you are probably experiencing) I already showed how to make the CS a sound module.. So I'm sure that is the problem..

This is a very easy fix...Now you said you can't trigger sounds.. you should be able to.. just like in my video using the command station as a sound module.. What exactly are you trying to do? I tell you what you want to learn this method, that your on.. because you will be able to create your songs on your CS then import in Sonar.. edit your song or pattern... then have sonar export them back into the CS. I use this method for a more precise tighter songs. Don't worry I will help you through this..

Back