Does rock have more energy than dance music?

beitenh

Is it different the energy between all edm and rock music?
Even they are different genres, the sound must be comparable in its energy level?
I compare these two genres because I know them, I live them. I mean something related with the sound energy and its derivative emotional content that is conveyed in both genres.

Because this is a sound related thing for me, I opened this thread here in production techniques. I do some edm tracks frequently, but when I listen to rock I acknowledge that huge sound some of their greatest songs have.

Last edited:
Hey!
As a listener of both genres, though mostly rock and metal, I think these two have more "power" than EDM music, i mean, EDM music CAN be pretty energetic (that's why most people on the globe listen to EDM), but it can't beat rock or metal in terms of arrangement, production and passion these two have behind.
Still, it remains a relative factor: if you pick a EDM fan youngster and a metalhead, both will disagree on whichever genre is the most powerful, mainly because they tend to oversee what they like, but, if you pick two producers, or more generally two listeners of both genres (or even more) they'll likely tell you rock is way up in the energy level comparison. I think a middle way could be dubstep: rock tempo (140 bpm or so) and electronic sounds. A generic EDM banger that has made millions of sales could be as powerful as you can imagine it, though it still remains just a catchy song, while rock and metal (which come from real instruments) can really give you that feeling inside your guts that makes you tell "This rocks!", just because the people behind the instruments put their own energy to make the sound powerful.
Hope I've been helpful.
-

Back