CrusherX by accsone: Granular sound design

rofilm

There´s a series of 17 tutorials aboutCrusherX and granular sound design/synthesis with a lot of background information not only about the VST, but also about granulartechniques in general and composing hints:
https://youtu.be/wyugqG5mPio

Have a great day and a good time! Rolf

CrusherX the next tutorial is online!
It is about the new Version 6 ofCrusherX and gives an overview: The new GUI/Layout, the new functionsand the changes of some old functions.
https://youtu.be/BRQydqV97EI
Timeline:
00:00 Introduction
00:50 The GUI
00:55 Modulation Overview Window
02:30 Changed Layout
03:53 Spline Window Changes
04:35 New Functions
05:05 Spread
06:15 Diffuse
07:00 Sweep Modes
09:10 Sweep linear
10:58 Phase Sliders
11:55 Step Modulation
12:50 Random Each Grain and Sampleand Hold
14:28 Pitch Follow
15:17 Autotune
15:40 Some Words at the End
Have a great day and a good time!
Rolf
CrusherX_V6.jpg

I´m working on tutorial 17 right now. It´s about the new SWEEP functionality. I suppose it´ll be available at the end of April. By the way: only 2 days left to get yourself a lifetime license. Enjoy your time! Rolf

Tutorial 17 The new SWEEP functionylity

I´m working on Tutorial 17 aboutCrusherX (the new version, of course). It´s all about the new SWEEPfunctionalitry and it´s going to be huge! If you can´t imagine avideo talking about SWEEP for far more than an hour (!), well, let mesurprise you! And if I told you, that even more than an hour doesn´tsuffice to go deep into every exciting aspect of sound design usingSWEEP, would you believe me? Well – you should!
I hope to have it all done by the endof April (perhaps a bit earlier).
I´ll publish a trailer in “VSTs indepth” then.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCI2wXmOToiaYrYzVBLOAvw

Stay tuned!
Rolf
Tutorial_17 pic.jpg

Andit is done again !!!
Tutorial17 about CrusherX is available. It´s all about the new SWEEPFunctionality and it is a monster of a tutorial! Please read thetimeline for details. And here is the link to the trailer on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/OEOxNICFAI0

Timeline:
0:00:00 Introduction
0:01:20 The Importance of SWEEP
0:03:10 The Linear Mode and theSystem of SWEEP
0:04:00 The Frequency of SWEEP
0:04:54 SWEEP and the Length od theGrains
0:05:56 SWEEP and FrequencyModulation
0:08:45 Interaction 1: SWEEP andSPEED
0:09:55 The SWEEP Mode “Steps”
0:14:15 Shaping Sound
0:15:36 Universal Step Patterns(Save and Load)
0:17:08 Reset, Create, Mirror,Invert
0:18:20 Values and the Heights ofthe Steps
0:21:30 Limited SWEEP Offset
0:22:22 Values, Values, Values …
0:24:58 The SWEEP Mode “Spline”
0:27:15 A Kind of FM again
0:28:11 Creating “Sawish”Sounds
0:29:30 Creating “Squarish”Sounds
0:31:28 Getting Rid of the OriginalWave
0:38:50 Some Sci-Fi Sounds from the1950s
0:43:17 Modulating SWEEP
0:45:45 In-Depth now: SPEED andSWEEP interacting
0:46:39 A Kind of AnalogueSequencing
0:51:30 Modulationg SWEEP again:the Values
0:53:00 Wiping Out SWEEP by AddingModulations
0:55:54 SWEEP and Different Classesof Sound
1:01:29 Source 1: Melody andSWEEP
1:01:32 Melody and LongGrains
1:10:11 Melody and ShortGrains
1:14:20 Melody and VeryShort Grains
1:18:13 Source 2: Soundscapesand SWEEP
1:18:18 Soundscapes andLong Grains
1:27:18 Soundscapes andShort Grains
1:31:23 Soundscapes andVery Short Grains
1:34:16 Source 3: Waterfallsand SWEEP
1:34:18 Waterfalls andLong Grains
1:39:34 Waterfalls andShort Grains
1:40:40 Waterfalls andVery Short Grains
1:47:10 Source 4: Percussionand SWEEP
1:48:17 Percussion andLong Grains
1:51:58 Percussion andShort Grains
1:54:29 Some Aspects ofSynchronisation and Rhythms
2:02:30 Persussion andVery Short Grains
2:08:57 Some Words at the End
Enjoy it!
Rolf

Choosing the right raw sound for granular processing

Granular Processing of Sound
Well, well, well, some of you havealready realized it:
With tutorial 17 I´ve started to talkabout a vital question of all kinds of granular processing:
Whatsound material can I sensefully apply granular processing to?”
and related to that another one:
Howdoes the raw material determine the way and the kind of my granularprocessing?”
https://youtu.be/OEOxNICFAI0

These questions will be further dealtwith in tutorial 18.
(Right now I´m doing some patchanalysis with u-he´s BAZILLE, being available in the second half ofMay.)
SOUNDSOURCEJPG.jpg

Thank you for 7,407 minutes of watchingmy 17 tutorials about accSone´s granular sound engine CrusherX inthe last 365 days. YouTube
Enjoy your time!
RolfTHANK_CRUSHER.jpg

Granular Sound Processing, FrequencyModulation, DAWless (PCless) Corner
(and a bit of reconstructing thestudio)

A short overview about the things I´mkilling my time with :-).

pospic_2.jpg

The production of tutorial 18 aboutaccSone´s granular processor CrusherX is coming to an end. It´s about extracting sounds from recordings using granular techniques.There´s a good deal of methods in it, which are independent from acertain software or a certai granular processor. The goal is buildingsample/sound libraries of different categories like instrumental,athmospheres, sound(noise)scapes, FX etc. only with sounds gainedfrom everyday (field)recordings.

But there is a good deal of curiosityto be satisfied as well. Have you ever asked yourself, how a certainsound may “look” like (ok, ok, ok - “sound” like) on thelevel of milliseconds? Have you ever considered your granular engineas a kind of sonic microscope? Well, I have and I´m answering eventhese questions in my new video tutorial.

pospic_1.jpg

There are some really surprising things - also surprising to me – going on in the ocean of sound downthere in those deep, deep milliseconds.

It´s going to be a quite long video.As there are 71 pages of written script and hundreds of shorter andlonger recordings (video, but also only sound), and nearly hundredgraphs and pictures, well, I think it may well reach a length of 3hours after cutting the film. I hope to have it all done by the endof June.

pospic_3.jpg

But as the best method to overcome acreative block (occurring here and there) is being creative somewhereelse I´m working on the production of part 4 of my FM/PM workshop.It´s about non-sinusoid (FM/PM-) modulations, which I call “secondorder modulations”, as we can understand then as a series ofsinusoid modulations, which follow certain conditions. It´s easierto predict the resulting sound, if we see it this way.

pospic_4.jpg

And – as said in the overview videoof the series – I start introducing FM/PM synths/VSTs others thanYamaha´s. It is ImageLine´s Sytrus in Workshop 4.

And of course there are going to besome analysis of famous FM/PM sounds again. I haven´t made up mymind, which ones yet.

pospic_6.jpg

And because the best way of survivingthe long lasting situation of being in a hurry and having no timeleft – not at all and not even a second and not even on Sundays –is starting something new (additionally to all the other activitiesof course), I´ve started to set up my “PCless” resp. “DAWless”corner in the studio. The gear is quite simple so far. Simple as wellas randomly gathered together: Arturia keystep, Korg Volca FM, and 3guitar FX-pedals (reverb, delay and amp simulation/distortion) – ayes, and a mixer of course (Behring Xenyx). Really a randomcollection as you see. Nothing more than just to beginn withsomething. But the whole project has a clear concept and the corneris going to be filled following this concept (no, I won´t tell you,how the concept sounds or what it is today – I will tell you, butnot today).

The thing is: I had to reconstruct mystudio to be able to let the project come to live (not because of thefew things I mentioned of course, but for the things still to come).And indeed, the reconstruction work is still going on. (Didn´t I saysomething about missing time? Hm!)

In case you want to stay informed:visit my website at http://www.rofilm-media.net
You can even subscribe to a newsletterservice there.

Alright then!
Enjoy your time!
Rolf

Granular Extractions for Sample Players (CrusherX Part 19)

Tutorial 19 about granular synthesiswith CrusherX is available now.YouTube

It deals with the question: how toextract new exciting future sounds for our sample players from allkinds of sound sources (including field recordings) using granularprocesses. After a bit more than 98 hours of work this video has gotthe longest one I´ve ever made: 3 hours and 12 minutes (I´ve splitthe video in two parts to make downloading easier). And it´s packedwith approaches, rules, facts, tricks and hints and a lot ofpractical examples including a complete case study.
Here´s the

Timeline:
Part A
0:00:00 Introduction
0:02:25 First Approaches
0:04:22 Finding the Right ParameterConstellations
0:05:43 Manipulating Sine Waves
0:09:49 Dealing With VolumeOscillations and Aliasing
0:22:16 Which Type of Grain Window?
0:37:32 How Many Generators?
0:41:18 Some Tricks to Make LifeEasier
0:44:51 Dealing With Saw Waves
0:47:35 Dealing with Chords andChord Progressions
0:58:15 Dealing With Choirs
1:10:27 How to Emphasize WithGrains
1:19:59 Dealing With FieldRecordings, Part 1: Voices
1:30:29 Dealing With FieldRecordings, Part 2: A Shopping Center
1:39:20 Dealing With FieldRecordings, Part 3: Rain and Thunder
1:53:34 Dealing With White Noise
1:55:05 Magnifying Sound far BeyondReality
(or: Diving Down theMariana Trench of Sound)
Part B
0:00:00 Investigating a SingleGrain
0:08:11 Sources of Sound forGranular Manipulations
0:10:30 A Complete Case Study(incl. some words about working systematically)
0:27:16 Finishing Touches
0:44:24 Some Words at the End
0:45:15 Some More Examples and aComplete Little Granular Composition
0:53:02 The End
Enjoy your day!
Rolf
pic19.jpg

Study in White Noise
or
Alice´sFall Down the Rabbit Hole

This is another application of one ofthe methods I explain in detail in my more than 3-hour tutorial aboutgranular extractions.
What you hear is white noise. Nothingelse than white noise. I stretched the recording of the white noiseby 10% without changing any pitch or frequency using granulartechniques. Then I recorded the stretched noise again and used thissecond recording as a new source for further stretchings. All in allI increased the time resolution of the original recording in 80consecutive steps – while never changing any pitch or frequency.
What I´ve got is less than 1millisecond of white noise stretched to audibility – 1 millisecondof sound frozen in time.
I call this method my “sonicmicroscope”.
I´ve smoothed (crossfaded) the abovementioned 80 steps of going deeper and deeper into the seconds andmilliseconds of the recording to make it more comfortable to listento (causing a loss of recognisability of each individual stepthough).

Enjoy your day!
Rolf

Back