Creating drum kits automatically and chromatically in FL Studio like Ableton.

Remedial

Okay, I'm a newb to FL studio, so, some of the workflow is kind of new to me. In Ableton, which is my primary DAW, I can grab a set of drum samples, drop them to a pad in a drum rack and the samples will be distributed chromatically from the first pad that I drop them on.

Is there any way to do this in FL Studio, whether using FPC or Directwave?

Thanks beforehand.

As Far as drum machines i suggest a vst call "Ez Drummer" Its cool but i prefer to make my drum pattern in the step sequencer

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 AM ----------

Or Akai Mpd. Look it up on google

Def use the FPC for drums. If you like to do triplets and different velocities on your drums it can be done much easier in the Piano Roll than in the Step Sequencer.
Yes, the Piano Roll is really better for programming drums than the Step Sequencer to me.
Cause in the Step Sequencer you need to shift everything by 33% for that swing and change the velocity for each note while in the piano roll you can just sequence on Snap 1/3 and make triplets swing drums like that and keep like 2 different velocities by clicking on a note with the lower velocity or clicking on a note with the higher velocity.
And you can see the velocities in the tab underneath the piano roll.

i hope i'm clear.

Last edited:
Yeah you can be the most precise in FPC, but if precision is not needed, the step sequencer is indeed more convenient.

Hmm either im confused as to what youre asking or people are answering something completely different for you lol. I personally dont know of a way to do that but I never use the FPC so maybe someone else can help you out.

Hmm either im confused as to what youre asking or people are answering something completely different for you lol. I personally dont know of a way to do that but I never use the FPC so maybe someone else can help you out.

You're completely right. I am happy for the replies, but, it seems that folks are answering a question that I didn't ask. I think you noticed it because you actually took time out to read the entire post rather than just assuming it's just another newb asking for suggestions on drum kits or drum plug ins. I think was pretty specific with my question and even the title of my post. Hopefully this isn't indicative of what FP has become. Used to be very helpful when I first joined back in '03. Or maybe it's just representative of the short attention span that society currently engenders. Or, cats are just trying to boost their post counts by pretending to help.

I guess it just kind of seems that one person answered kind of off tangent and then everyone else just replied based off of his answer, rather than digesting my original post.

I'm happy for the recommendations of which plugs to use (although something like EZ Drummer is not a sampler for creation of your own homespun kits), but I really just want to know if there is anyway to create a chromatic drum kit automatically without having to do it individually by each pad or note in either FPC or any other sampler availabe in FL Studio.

Seems like that the mention of drum kits and drums kind of overshadowed the meat of my post.

Thanks, though, guys. And you especially BeatGenerals for catching the misstep by our fellow FPers.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

As Far as drum machines i suggest a vst call "Ez Drummer" Its cool but i prefer to make my drum pattern in the step sequencer

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 AM ----------

Or Akai Mpd. Look it up on google

I own EZ Drummer and an MPD24 and an MPC 4000, so, no, I don't need to "google" it. Not a newb here (check my join date; I just don't post much anymore) Just new to FL Studio. Also, even if I was a complete newb, just blindly recommending a piece of hardware when someone is asking about software is kind of misleading. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Def use the FPC for drums. If you like to do triplets and different velocities on your drums it can be done much easier in the Piano Roll than in the Step Sequencer.
Yes, the Piano Roll is really better for programming drums than the Step Sequencer to me.
Cause in the Step Sequencer you need to shift everything by 33% for that swing and change the velocity for each note while in the piano roll you can just sequence on Snap 1/3 and make triplets swing drums like that and keep like 2 different velocities by clicking on a note with the lower velocity or clicking on a note with the higher velocity.
And you can see the velocities in the tab underneath the piano roll.

i hope i'm clear.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to implement triplets and using piano roll over step sequencer. I definitely prefer piano roll for drum programming in FL.

Now, as per my original question, do you know of any of the plugs in FL that allow me to setup a drum kit automatically by dragging a set of samples into said plug in? I would like for there to be one sample per note on my midi keyboard without my having to add a sample per note (or pad, if using FPC) over and over again, which get tedious and very time consuming.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am not sure that FL has a drum machine that auto loads that way but there are vsts that do this. Poise is a popular choice and its only like $50

This is an old thread but I've been looking for the same thing for a while. I need something to route different sampled to different mixer tracks and nobody knew what the OP was talking about except Xabiton. I think the feature is absolutely essential for having quality sounding drums and I have no idea why FL doesn't have anything like that yet. I recently got Ableton and using their drum rack is so much easier.

I've been googling for a while and just came across a link. Since I can't post them yet, do a google search for "drum plugin where you can send different channels to mixer" and it's the first link that comes up.

Native Instruments makes good vsts and Kontakt 5 looks good. I'm going to get it.

Last edited:
And Kontakt 5 is really good. Has tons of features and customization. You can load and save racks, add effects and route to different channels and a whole bunch of other stuff. It is $400 though.

This is an old thread but I've been looking for the same thing for a while. I need something to route different sampled to different mixer tracks and nobody knew what the OP was talking about except Xabiton. I think the feature is absolutely essential for having quality sounding drums and I have no idea why FL doesn't have anything like that yet. I recently got Ableton and using their drum rack is so much easier.

I've been googling for a while and just came across a link. Since I can't post them yet, do a google search for "drum plugin where you can send different channels to mixer" and it's the first link that comes up.

Native Instruments makes good vsts and Kontakt 5 looks good. I'm going to get it.

if the sampler that you using supports multichannel output you can route those to separate mixer tracks in FL easily selecting the output ports on the wrapper settings.
almost any decent sampler would have multichannel outputs.
The kontakt player is versatile but it'd be a lot time consuming when you start to tweak and make your own drum kits on it, def more handy with other instruments tho.
The Battery would obviously be a better option for drums ( especially if you have been using the FPC or Cubase groove agent before, wont kill the workflow)

My fab is the Stylus RMX. def worth the price. I do not work for spectrasonics but it is very flexible. Already comes with bundles of pre-processed loops and kits on it. Can import my own rex loops onto it and and do almost anything with them within minutes like splitting individual notes into oneshots and save it as a kit or maybe separate the percussion, kicks and snares from a single loop into different loops and route them into individual mixer channel

Last edited:
Obviously? No. All you have to do is save a preset with all the instruments you usually use in it and load that then drop your samples in like a regular drum rack whenever you want to use it.

I'm quite sure there is not a way to do it automatically. You have to build the kit sound by sound, route them to the mixer track for fx, and then save it to load the next time. Fl does chromatics for a single sound if you use the step sequencer and FPC lets you use multiple sounds, but you have to set the pitch, etc... I have a question, why are you using fl studio if you like ableton live more?

I'm quite sure there is not a way to do it automatically. You have to build the kit sound by sound, route them to the mixer track for fx, and then save it to load the next time. Fl does chromatics for a single sound if you use the step sequencer and FPC lets you use multiple sounds, but you have to set the pitch, etc... I have a question, why are you using fl studio if you like ableton live more?
Me or the OP? I like FL a lot more but the drum rack in Ableton is really helpful.

You can use the "layer" plugin. Open your layer plugin, drop all the drum samples to your step sequencer, then have all the samples selected on the drum sequencer (little green light next to them) while the layer plugin is open and select "set children", then you click the little drop down arrow next to "layering" and hit "split children"...It will seperate them to different notes starting on Middle C (if that's your root note on the layer plugin).
Now you only play the "layer" plugin to play all the drums, and you can assign each note to your midi controller with pads or w.e you're using.

Back