cowbell equalization

You just gotta have more of it.
You gotta have more cowbell.
It sounds good you just need more cowbell.

I support this statement. It doesn't need equalisation...

IT NEEDS MORE COWBELL!! ...Bruce Dickinson told me so...

I've never needed to EQ a cowbell, but I would imagine there are no specific tips that don't apply to any other sound. It depends on what other sounds are playing at the same time that determines which frequencies clash with each other for space. At that time you may use the EQ on the cowbell. Or you may EQ the other sounds to make some room for the cowbell to come through more.

BUT BEWARE!! You may find yourself needing more and more EQ as the amount of cowbell increases exponentially...

I am currently eq'ing a cowbell as I type. Shame there's no useful advice. For my money there are 2 distinct sounds; the woodblock and the ringing. You want it as a presence, but not to overwhelm. I will post the track and see if I did it correctly!

I think that whatever track you're working on, it just needs more cowbell, but you seem to have what appears to be a dynamite sound. The trick when EQ'ing cowbell is to really explore the studio space.

Last edited:
As Will Ferrell himself said in the sketch "We don't have too many tracks that feature the cowbell". As I went to mix my next track I realised that it also features the cowbell, but I hadn't touched it for a while. Guess I love that cowbell!

Back