Boom Bap

you can either:

1. use the swing meter on the step sequencer
2. go into the piano and manually program the drums

& you gotta mess with the velocities of the drums

I just found this thread. I guess it's almost a year old but oh well. If I want what i call a tight swingy boombap like a tribe called quest where the drums although the drums have the da-dum-dum swing in the kick but its still tight on beat I will just use the swing function in what ever daw/sampler I'm using and it comes out great. I use Maschine. But if I'm going for a more J-Dilla style loose boombap where the drums hit tastefully right behind the beat for instance check out this song (newness by Musiq Soulchild) I like to play the drums with a click and no quantization. If you don't have rhythm it will be tough but sometimes that's the best way to get the human feel to it. Also you can quantize different parts of the drum track to different note values and swing values as long as it doesn't come out crazy but you have to play around to get it right usually. I remember when I first heard this loose style and I said "man that is a sick sound!" But every time I tried to get it it came out way too tight. So try these things and you should get it eventually if u haven't already.
Those are what I believe to be the best ways of achieving those sounds or rhythms rather that I have found to be useful. Hopefully u will as well. My latest beat I made I actually named it Loosie Goosie Boombap Music if you want to check it out. No quantization just looping 4 bar drums I laid out manually. Loosie Goosie Boombap Music!! by jazzyDrewProductions on SoundCloud - Hear the world
p.s. the beat in the video to my ears sounds like what I call the tight swingy boombap with that nice da-dum-dum in the kick drum

Last edited:
The swing function moves notes over slightly in rythm depending on how much swing you apply to give the rythm more of a swing feel. I don't know if this will help but for instance you have a pretty standard kick snare pattern like boom bap, boom boom bap. The second and third kicks are right on the beat. Turn the swing up on the kick and you have boom bap, ba-boom bap. The second kick is moved closer to the third giving it a more "swingy" feel. I'm sorry if I'm hard to understand its difficult to convey via text.

Just like some people mentioned here, Swing is a big factor in getting that Boom Bap feel. I also recommend messing with Velocities to get a better "humanized" feel to it and what not also. Swing + Velocity = Some Head Bobbing/Neck Sanpping BOOMING BAPNESS. Hahaha

Back