Beatmaking processes

what kind of beats are you looking to make? check out Rusko's Producer Masterclass on Youtube...he specifically talks about dubstep beats but a lot of the processes and techniques can be applied to all types of genres

Here's the beat making process I usually take:

1. Browse through all of the Veneance sample packs for interesting sounds
2. Find a kick sound that I like (I usually don't layer my kick sounds so I usually just pick one)
3. Use compression and EQ to make the kick really punchy
4. Make a simple kick drum beat across 8 beats
5. Keep browsing through for snares, claps and hihats to lay into my beat
6. Find other samples (pops, lasers, etc) to spice up the beat
7. I add sub bass to go along with my kicks using sine waves in Massive
8. EQ and compress everything to get the sound you want
9. Once you have a simple beat laid out, I create multiple versions of the beat using the same instruments to create more interesting sounds
10. I then start laying on more synths

For me, this is usually my starting process

1) Look for a good synth to work with
2)Create a melody
3) harmonize it and layer with other ones
4) Think up drums and lay it down
5) arrange the chorus
6) arrange the verse with slightly diff variations
7) Make intro
8) EQ/FX
9) Bounce/Export!

Well that's mine in a nutshell lol

I'll help you out.. This is what i do.. Lottta people start drums first .____. **** that..the sounds are whats most important.. I start with a sound make melody then a back ground feeling type sound/melody.. Add some more sounds to accompany melody... Add snare/claps then kicks then hi-hats then percs.. Very easy as u can c

I like to just sit down and start picking random sounds. I like to record melodies and chords first before I begin with drums. I try to not start out thinking what type of beat I want to make. I just let my sounds pull me in.

Back