Ask me Anything! (Mixing, Producing< Advice, Tips, Etc.

Chris Faze

Im here to help any newbies or intermediates, (even advanced) producers that have any questions regarding mixing or creating. On the way I just ask that you subscribe to my youtube channel below. Enjoy!

Whats up Arastoo? Have you been making use of side chain compression with your instruments and drums? Feel free to post a track for me to check out.

Last edited:
i did.. i send the track as demo version and Private soundcloud link.. im just have a big problem !! the drums + bass sound is fit too the track but there is 2 arp melody both is fine but in middle of the track i feel something bad !!
dunno maybe my ears just ****ed up :P i will be happy if u give me some advise for mix or mastering this track !!!

Hey, so as I was listening to your track (which I enjoyed), I noticed a few things that could be improved upon. So here's a small list of things for you to try out to improve your mix.

1) In the beginning the FX rise was a little bit harsh on the ears. You can fix this through multiband compressions and EQ. A subtraction at around 5k will do the trick on eq. Your sound will be softer and more pleasing to the ear
2). Lowering the threshhold around 5K on your multiband compressor will also do the trick keeping the high end freq that you want to hear, while at the same time reducing the harshness of the sound. So the setting will be a lower threshold around 2k-5k (experiment), and lower the attack. Notice the difference in the sound. Much better.
3) And a big tip for your overall track, add a Limiter to your master track and use a punchy preset (easy) to give your track that punch and hard hitting dynamic when the beat comes in.
4) Also, a little tip for your drums and snares, to make them pop out in the track a bit more, try layering the drums with more "punchy" or "poppy" sounds, and the same with the snare. Practice low cutting and high cutting frequencies of two drum sounds and combining them to create a brand new drum that works for you :)

I hope this helped you in your mixing and mastering journey. Peace out!

Whats up Chris!

I am new to this site and have a question. At the beginning of a dance music track, there is a very soft kick going on. After the first 16 bars (sometimes) you can feel the kick get fatter/stronger. My question is how do they accomplish this? Would it be layering your kick, using a whole new kick, or using an eq to change the sound of the original kick at the beginning and then playing with it to make it sound stronger. Thank you.

Whats up Chris!

I am new to this site and have a question. At the beginning of a dance music track, there is a very soft kick going on. After the first 16 bars (sometimes) you can feel the kick get fatter/stronger. My question is how do they accomplish this? Would it be layering your kick, using a whole new kick, or using an eq to change the sound of the original kick at the beginning and then playing with it to make it sound stronger. Thank you.

It could be a combination of all the above.

Does the kick have the same tone? If it sounds like it could be the same kick, then sure it could just be a replicated kick with different processing applied and then switched out when required.

Alternatively, there could be some automation on the original kick.

What are some key elements for mixing 808 bass or sub bass in order to get it to thump. However, I want it to pound but not be too muddy and overpowering. So i guess i'd like to know ways to make it stand out and add that oomph, without ruining and distorting the whole song.

Hey Gabriel, there's multiple ways you can do this. Layering the kick and automating the volume so it gets louder is definitely one way you can do it. Another is through automation using EQ. Automation is key here. Because if you want the sound to get louder/fatter over time, you can for example increase the bass on the eq, maybe around 40-100hz to make it fatter, and automate that bass increase so that your kick gets fatter when you want it to.

Hey Treedough, you can make your kick thump without being muddy by using a sharp high pass filter on the 808, which actually will give the 808 more definition, and clarity. Then, you can boost where you want to add more thump, and remember that saturation and compression are also key to getting that 808 to sound how you want it to. Compression can give it that hitting factor as well.

Back