Wiz Khalifa sub and kick

dsnave

I'm looking for some advice achieving a nice hard hitting kick/low tom sound for my beats, in the style of Wiz Khalifa's Black and Yellow.

Since I apparently can't post links, use youtube or google to find the instrumental for reference.

I'm referring to the harder kick and tom samples throughout most of the verses and all choruses. I'm guessing they're something like a tweaked TR808, but I could be wrong. I've dug through plenty of samples and kits, and haven't found anything that has quite the same sound qualities and punch.

I realize doubling the sub bass with these kicks has a lot to do with this sound, so if anyone has advice on achiving such a sub with vsts it would be very helpful. I currently use the free SubAtomic vsti with mixed results--I find it difficult to work with, and doesn't sit well in my mixes (too loose, with not enough punch).

Last edited:
I mean just find stuff, tweak it, and move on(not to sound rude with "move on") but music is about being creative with your sound, i started playin around on fruity loops the summer going into my sophomore year of high school and made some shitty clicked beats, but once you know this is what you wanna do then you'll truely get creative and make good beats. like the sub kicks, certain things come in time and with pateince, ans also find other producer in your area and just ask them to if you can collab on a beat with them or watch them make a beat. My key is Time

I've found the key to some sub kicks I like are pitching them with the beat and also doubling the pitch/expanding on it with a deep bass. EQ'ing the two similar help as well.

Back