Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why do I suck at making beats?

LilAyUTP is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Well for trap beats i make a lot of those and sometimes they end up not being trap and.
    1. A lot if times, more than you think the vocals enhanced the song. I played the 'i dont like' instrumental and its nothing but 2 to 3 synths a high octave saw and some high bells. A crash,hi hats. One snare, one kick one 808 MAYBE a bass sine but for the most part no more than 14 tracks. Me or you could have made that. And remember for trap the instruments are half the db level of the kick and snare and maybe close to the same range of the 808.learn to eq and compress sparingly. Dont have a limiter on your master track just make sure nothing exceeds 0. Lastly LEARN COMPRESSION. Very vital

myanodyne is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    One thing that helped me starting out was to work the shitty tracks to death. Really polish those turds. Get them as good as they can possibly be. That way when something good comes along, you'll be able to turn it from good to great. Another thing I used to do often, and still do occasionally, is start with something really simple, but that sounds good (a kick and snare maybe). Then I add stuff slowly, and always trying to support the initial idea. If it starts to suck, I remove layers back to when it didn't suck, and keep trying to build it up.

Also, here's a quote that sounds like it applies:
    Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, itís just not that good. Itís trying to be good, it has potential, but itís not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesnít have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone Iíve ever met. Itís gonna take awhile. Itís normal to take awhile. Youíve just gotta fight your way through. ― Ira Glass

manifest2177 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Preach! This mans right! It's the negative thought your bombarding your subconscious with. It's all good man because it can be reversed into the extreme exact opposite! First off stop using a million one different sound kits. When you hear a Kanye West beat you can tell its his beat even if he's not on the track. Neptunes, Timberland, Justice Leauge-they all have their own signature. You can't do that with a million and one different sounds!

Each master is selective with their sounds. They each use no more than a few kits and shape and chisel their sound with added effects; chamber hall, delay, plate reverb.

Next is making your own sound and not someone elses. You can make it sound similar to trap, because when you notice every Trap producer sound is still slightly different, with some key components in Trap added-808, mpc clap, ie. Justice Leauge! They stand out with their own style and drums, when they do a trap record for say Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, or Dj Khaled they add the ingredients necessary for Trap
    ON TOP OF THEIR SIGNATURE SOUND.

These are a few tips. The best tip is to disgard your negative energy like a heavy log. You'll do good and feel good knowing it!

MrWonderful is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Thanks
    Don't listen to the bozo above. Keep it avante garde' , keep it underground, keep it changing, keep it relevant, keep it futuristic.

Get yo head out ya ass potna~!

Teddy Bass is offline Registered User
    Thanks

2infamouz is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    For one, trap beats are better with simple melodies. Don't over do it. Also you should look into a little music theory to help you understand why you're putting certain notes in the order you are, and what makes it sound better. Starting the structure of your beat with a simple chord progression can help you build the rest of it from that structure. Also a lot of the difference in sound you're hearing is due to either lower quality synths or bad mixing. Mixing is the key to getting that commercial sound, not just laying out the instruments. Send me a message with some of your work and ill listen n see what I think could help your tracks out.
    -2i

BNJMN93 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Try and search for new sounds, try finishing a beat and letting other people hear it, see what I needs and go back and adjust. Also Try and develop your own sound, stop trying to be like other producers out there. they have a different story.

Cwbamwb is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Take a composition and music theory class, and then take up an instrument. They'll teach you the fundamentals of musicianship and give you a basic idea of how to make music :-)

DameSmiff is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I see a lot of advice given that isn't concrete.....try searching youtube on FL Studio mixing...learn how EQ works, research song structure, build your knowledge on music theory, learn the difference between mastering and mixing. I think you're question is more of "How do I get a CLEANER, CRISPER sound?" rather than 'How to build a beat' which I see many people apparently explaining. It's never the sounds you're using....literally any sound can be radio quality if you put the right mix to it. I can't imagine anyone disagreeing.

Masaedo is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Exactly, if you try and compare yourself too hard to people that are already established in the industry you will get discouraged.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information