Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why do I suck at making beats?

Anarchy12 is offline Registered User
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I can relate, I have very strong motivation to make awesome music and all types of crazy shit going on in my head, but when I sit down to try and make it I inevitably hit a wall and end up with something that sounds subpar. Let me say that if not getting the sound you want really makes you angry enough to ruin your night, you might want to work on dealing with that first because that mentality won't be conducive to making music. There's no need to rush yourself, I relate to being impatient but you just have to have faith that all those hours you put in are getting you closer to your goal. Maybe you're just setting your expectations too high.

You should also check out that Ill Methodology video PresentProducer posted, it's long but I just watched it and that shit is church.

eccentricbeats is offline Registered User
    It's all about learning music theory.. Understanding what chords are used in those radio songs.. It's gotta be catchy for one.. For example, "Call Me Maybe" That is a very basic song, with just a basic chord progression.. The verse consists of one chord and a bass line.. I'm a big fan of live music and rock music, so that's where I get my style from.. But never attempt to copy other producers.. Set your own style, and make others want to copy you.. But you're young, just keep drinking from the fountain of knowledge.. Most importantly, stay focused and committed. David Guetta is 45, and he didn't hit it big time until about 3 years ago.

ak21 is offline Registered User
    practice bro, practice. sit there for minutes, hours, days until u get the sound u like man, dont quit! and experiment and fuk around with different sounds i find that helps me wen im lacking inspiration

RizoCargetti is offline Dreamcatcher
    You need to develop a sense of originality. From your post, it seems you only make the kind of beats that you have already heard. We dont need more producers like that. Also another thing that will probably improve your quality is working on your mixing skills
    The ReUp x SSMG x produced by the Dreamcatchers
    http://soundcloud.com/rizocargetti/the-reup-x-ssmg-x

Section Dot 007 is offline Registered User
    You seem to be trying to tackle too big of a goal for yourself, that of making a "professional-quality" song. Learning all that it takes will be a long process, so for now just worry about improving with each project you make. Also, don't take it too hard if what you're making doesn't sound like other things you've heard. As long as it sounds good, that's all that matters. Besides that, just work hard and keep your head up.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Also, posting something you've made on here and getting some constructive criticism would probably help.

alexamiles is offline Registered User
    frustration is part of the game, not everything you hear on the radio was just pumped out in one try. for every good beat you hear there could be 100 unused or downright bad... and it seems like your trying to hard to make a certain type of beat. dont make a specified genre, make what you feel and youll find your style, and it will sound good

UpnComer is offline Registered User
    if you were meant to do this...it will happen...i have good ideas but i have a hard time making it sound like how i want it to sound....in just starting to get alright and ive been using fl studio for 10+ years.

try adding effects...add a heavy reverb and the sound goodizer on the master channel, that way when u preview sounds they will sound twice as better

i usually havea rap in my head humming along to the beat, make sure it has swag and a purpose....also leave enouh room in the beat for lyrics....we producers make beats because we see infinite possibilities in producing, ...u will find a way.

DirtyGrits is offline Registered User
    Your beats don't sound like the stuff on the radio because stuff on the radio has been mixed by professional mixing engineers and mastered by professional mastering engineers. In addition, stuff you hear on the radio also has artists rapping over them. My guess is that you'd be surprised to hear what those beats sound like with no one rapping over the top of them. Some of them would sound elementary.

That being said, to get better you should put your time and effort into, song format, transitions and mixing.

When it comes to melody, a good rule of thumb is this. If you can't whistle or hum it, it will not be a catchy melody. In addition, you can create a catchy melody, but it can get boring real quick without having some differing harmony behind it to change up the feeling. Hope this helps.
    likes this.

bconover93 is offline Registered User
    I'm almost 20 and had FL for 2 years and just now am getting good. I suggest learning about chords, keys, and all that other music theory stuff.

OMGITSKENNY is offline HIGHERONE COLLECTIVE
    Straight up, stop trying so hard and start having fun. You need to let go and see what happens. When you sit and over think everything, youre never going to find a proper direction. Maybe making trap beats isnt for you. Try messing around with sounds, try listening to new music. Branch out.
    likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information