Who has original non-sample work

The thing is, no-one is talking about just taking a loop off a sample CD and looping it, then stealing an entire bassline and looping that too, I think everyone here agrees that that is just lame. Most, if not all, of the people here who are arguing for sampling, do the same thing that you do, just sampling single shots or single notes, and using them for their own compositions.

There are other degrees of sampling inbetween these two extremes though, such as the type of thing on the Susumu Yokota album I recommended. Taking samples from other pieces of work, sometimes more than just a single hit or note, but rearranging them, chopping them creatively, adjusting them, maybe changing the ADSR etc, and combining them with other samples in a way completely different to the way they were originally used, and this form of sampling can be very artistic too.

James McFadyen said:
Does no one get that by taking a sampled loop and a sampled bass riff, etc, that this in no way consitutes you produceing or composing. Even if they are royalty free, that's besides the point.

I totally agree James. That kind of sampling is weak, unoriginal, and I wouldn't feel good about making that junk either. We're in complete agreement there.

i use sampling to RECREATE my orchestral and classical stuff and write dance music, but this is restricted to single shot's and instrument samples

Totally. And although there are a lot of different sample CD's with the same instruments, the character of each is different and that's why you might prefer one over the other. Specifically I'm talking about samples + ambience. A lot of "beat makers" will sample a certain old drum off of vinyl, and use it as a one-hit sample in a different composition. It's not a legal sample, but it sounds cool to me to have all that extra stuff on the hit:) and I can see why those guys like sampling it that way. They like the dirty sound that goes with the sample. This kind of sampling is interesting to me. It's still "stealing"...you're stealing the "feel" along with the note. But since it's used in a completely new composition, and usually in a totally different way, then to me it just seems like an extension of using sample CD's or even sound modules (which have presets crafted to have a certain "feel" out of the box).

But I admit a lot of cool sampling I've heard really is just creative editing as James said. But it's just so damn creative (to me) that I'm still impressed by it. For people that can't play any real instruments, some of these guys work a turntable like a magic wand. And I am extremely impressed by their sense of the beat. I also thinks it's kinda cool that they threw all the rules out the window, and edited the music to be how they wanted. Imagine being able to take all the best parts of songs and put them together.:) yeah, yeah I know, it ain't music...but it sounds like music:D

Sanguis - I'll definitely check out Susumu, along with the artist James mentioned earlier (you got me with the "sublime" part:D )

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, yes Steve Reich's 'Electric Counterpoint'. It's in three parts:

1 - Fast
2 - Slow
3 - Fast

and is well cool and very sexc! :)

jizzer said:

Samplers may be stealing but they're usually honest about that fact. Real musicians on the other hand rarely admit how many of their bag of tricks are borrowed.

That's the best thing i've heard lately . So true words Jizzer.

Storyteller said:

That's the best thing i've heard lately . So true words Jizzer.

find comfort in it. make yourself feel good. i for one state my influences and give honor and tribute to them. it is flattery to a musician that he has inspired another musician's work. it is not flattery for them to see another man touted as a genius with the work that they have created. it is unfair. there is no tribute in that. at all.

Everyone draws insperation from someone else its inevitable. Some of the best composers have taken other people's ideas and added on to them. That's sampling in a different form but it's still sampling.

How is it any different if someone takes a loop and then adds a whole new arrangement on top of it?

God, this thread is like a fukkin english composition class...

Buncha self-righteous BS...
Im trying to figure out why this thread pissed me off....

My two pence is that if you sample anything more than a two note string and you dont pay for it, youre a sucker. And if you ..... about people using LESS than a two note sample, youre just an idiot. I use piles and piles of one shots for drums, and Id never say that 'I sample'.

Peace.

We will never agree and we all have our opinions.Again I am an musician and i like the idea of being able to use a sample and incorporate something else with it. Just make the best music u can. And if u do use full samples, make sure u can pay for it and give credit where it is due.

^^^ Look what Kanye did in Through the Wire.Most of the sampling in mainstream is work with other "original arrangements on top".Just check out Kanyes new stuff.Like on T.I.'s Album he uses a Roger Troutman sample, And not only Strategically Places it in the right spots exactly like he did with overnight celebrity, but he added a rhodes,bongos,wind chimes...I could go and on.On Doin My Job , it may seem to you "producers" that hes not doing anything but he is.He's "choppin" up the sample arranging the original song in different parts, making leads, bridges etc out of it.Tell me the way he put the lead that goes du-du-dud-du with the snares going with it isnt genious.Also a new record that I just got my hands on is Payback-My Angels.I feel this song is OVER-COMPOSED.Take away the sample (Staci Lattisaw-Let Me Be Your Angel), its STILL a complete song.What he did was chop the sample up a LITTLE BIT(which could have taken many hours to get right though) and place the oooooooooo in the verse and actual singing in the sample in the HOOK.Now theres his signature clap, and a SNARE.Now I doubt he came up with the idea for the snare pattern himself(check the numerous Reggae Versions of Let Me Be Your Angel) but hey, he still did it.And they raised the hi frequencies of the sample to bring out its hihats, so you have to understand that it is chopped so it goes like ---------------- - - - -
thats very coo to me.Then he puts a triangle loop over it which fits it beautifully.Next He uses his Live Musician "E-Bass" to play a Bassline(Probably "hummed" out what he wanted to for him to play).Next theres some beautiful Spanish Guitars, unfortunanetly the vinyl doesnt say who played it.If I didnt miss anything?I think theres some windchimes, and theres an 808 bass drum.Thats very hard to put a 808 with a song with a bassline, took me alot of time to do it.Too Bad everyhting is bunched together and you can hardly hear the Spanish Guitar except when your in the club(I doubt theyd play it there) or your listening to good headphones.Thats the reason(probably) its not doing well on the charts, because its OVA kKILL.(I lost my train of thought explaining this, so I forgot wehat else I was going to explain, ill come back later hopefully I can explain)

Sorrry for not indenting my paragraphs, I know it makes it very hard to read.

Well put jlrosario9!!! I feel like you do, and i think you were able to say what i was trying to say in the first place! U can sample and add something unique to it.

so true jlrosario9, this kind of sampling is creative, just as much as writing your own tune. Just as much as a classical or jazz composer who arranges another piece.

I think the kind of sampling that gives "sampling" a bad name is the stuff that just takes a bar or two from a song and loops it. Or just takes all the music from a song and lifts off the lyrics, add their own and put in a slightly different beat.

on a similar note... listen to Stevie Wonder's album "Songs in the Key of Life" and count how many samples have been taken from it... and how many songs have been completely ripped off from it.

OMFG. I LOST ALL MY REASON BEATS. these beats ive been hearing. so much sampling. ive been doin it for less than a year. i had around 150 beats. all different. all original .AHI FOsdoiaso. i dled reason off ..... long ago but i lost it when my hard drive crashed. after couple weeks from buying it. when i get my reason tomoro. im gona post my shiit up. DAYUM.. peace

If you can play it, then you are musician,
If not, then you aren't.

So using sampling is not the same than really composing

I dont think anyone is arguing that but I dont think many people will disagree that flipping a sample takes talent also...

I play keyboard and use live instrumentation in a lot of my beats but I also like to incorperate samples into my productions.

Each process takes talent in its own right...

Peace

Back