Who Else Loves The Sound of Their Beats Backwards?

-/-

Its trippin me out...its like a whole new sound I wasn't expecting when I made the beat. I wish I could incorporate it into the main track without it not sounding wierd...Any ideas?

For example in FL Studio I took the Midi info and hit ALT+Y to flip it..Made 2 completely different instrumentations over the same drum beat. It works well, I wouldn't suggest this for everything though its kind of cheating

Reverse effects can be cool. I remember one track where I played the main hook in reverse as an intro to the actual song. It helps if you have a crash or impact on the 1, so the reversed measure will sound like it's building up to something - and then drop your actual beat. Or something like that.. do you.

Yes, I remember during my first 5 years of making beats I would use the 'FL Scratcher' plugin and just play the song in rewind mode. It instantly made my imagination run wild when I would hear the melody/progression in reverse, each time I kinda got stuck (blocked) I would render out a WAV and play it backwards. It can give you a different perspective/angle to approach the beat with, I also like using the 'Master Pitch' slider up/down a couple hundred cents to get a similar effect on my creativity (some plugins don't always work with the 'Master Pitch', I don't know why).

Back