Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Where do professional trap producers get their sounds?

  1. #1
    Whitelexluger is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    19

    Where do professional trap producers get their sounds?

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Young chop, mike will, lex etc..

    I downloaded countless free soundkits & 3 vsts (nexus, hypersonic, syneth [somethin like that I forgot the name])

    There's a couple good sounds in these, but I still feel like I'm missing alot. When I hear synths, brass, bells, etc. In professional songs, none of the sounds in my kits & vsts can compare with it. A lot of the sounds in these vsts sound kinda useless for rap.

    Where do the pros get their sounds? How do they make them sound so much better than mine? I'm still relatively new to producin so help me out.

  2. #2
    AG Beats is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,030
    you have much to learn young jedi.


    You gotta layer shit, like strings and brass to get a nice "bite-y" sound. Layer drum sounds. Make sure to mess with ADSR settings. Make sure you make a nice stereo image and all that.


    Mike will literally uses preset from VSTs without even editing them though. I found the exact preset he used to make no lie in Gladiator and the exact arpeggio he used to make Itchin in DUNE. He didn't even do anything just went straight in. And there's nothing wrong with that. Simplicity is king sometimes.

    Its really about the mix. Those guys are lucky, they dont have to do that stuff any more I don't feel like. They just lay down a general idea make sure they pick the sounds they like and then let a mixing engineer mix and master it to perfection when the song comes out.
    likes this.
    Intergalactic space man trying to find his sound that's lost on planet earth. Once powers are harnessed revolution will spark

  3. #3
    THA_REAPER's Avatar
    THA_REAPER is offline What? Killin em!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Waterbury, CT
    Posts
    835
    Ehh you already know a few. You missed the korg M1, Kontakt, Gladiator, Omnisphere...along with what you mentioned that's what ppl beat and kill to death lol. I observe closely. I must say though just because you use the same thing doesn't mean its just gonna give you the sound your looking for...You gotta know how to manipulate your sounds, layer/stack, play in a good scale, and on top of all that have a decent mix. Example: Two ppl are given the same kick... one can make that kick knock. The other might say its all the way up 3.5 db and its still not knocking...that kick is just weak as hell I need a better one lmao.

    Also using to much stuff at once is gonna do you more damage than help, gotta take time to know your vst's and learn the libraries well enough to be able get adequate results closest to your imagination. You gotta understand sounds don't really classify anyone to a pro level...some sounds your not gonna just find, you gotta work for them and get them to your liking. Other sounds you can use the same exact sound, but had it at a way higher key and not realize...with trial and error you can only gain skill from it.

    ---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by AG Beats View Post
    you have much to learn young jedi.


    You gotta layer shit, like strings and brass to get a nice "bite-y" sound. Layer drum sounds. Make sure to mess with ADSR settings. Make sure you make a nice stereo image and all that.


    Mike will literally uses preset from VSTs without even editing them though. I found the exact preset he used to make no lie in Gladiator and the exact arpeggio he used to make Itchin in DUNE. He didn't even do anything just went straight in. And there's nothing wrong with that. Simplicity is king sometimes.

    Its really about the mix. Those guys are lucky, they dont have to do that stuff any more I don't feel like. They just lay down a general idea make sure they pick the sounds they like and then let a mixing engineer mix and master it to perfection when the song comes out.
    Damn you fast lol. Basically got a part of what I was typing before I hit post.
    and like this.
    Originally Posted by DjPolair did you know lex luger doesn't use eq and mixing ? yall should focus on the damn beats instead of unimportant stuff, real talk

  4. #4
    AG Beats is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by THA_REAPER View Post
    Ehh you already know a few. You missed the korg M1, Kontakt, Gladiator, Omnisphere...along with what you mentioned that's what ppl beat and kill to death lol. I observe closely. I must say though just because you use the same thing doesn't mean its just gonna give you the sound your looking for...You gotta know how to manipulate your sounds, layer/stack, play in a good scale, and on top of all that have a decent mix. Example: Two ppl are given the same kick... one can make that kick knock. The other might say its all the way up 3.5 db and its still not knocking...that kick is just weak as hell I need a better one lmao.

    Also using to much stuff at once is gonna do you more damage than help, gotta take time to know your vst's and learn the libraries well enough to be able get adequate results closest to your imagination. You gotta understand sounds don't really classify anyone to a pro level...some sounds your not gonna just find, you gotta work for them and get them to your liking. Other sounds you can use the same exact sound, but had it at a way higher key and not realize...with trial and error you can only gain skill from it.

    ---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------



    Damn you fast lol. Basically got a part of what I was typing before I hit post.
    Yeah I got them fast fingers lol! You typed a lil more than me though too
    Intergalactic space man trying to find his sound that's lost on planet earth. Once powers are harnessed revolution will spark

  5. #5
    bandcoach's Avatar
    bandcoach is offline Zukatoku - Mod Scientist
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    15,636
    all I will say is that they get them from the same places mere mortals do - on-line or at the store.....
    Last edited by bandcoach; 03-22-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    and like this.
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

  6. #6
    AG Beats is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,030
    you can get some cool stuff if you just start trying to make ur own sounds in a synth too. I made a really cool bass patch that I like. It's like a dirty sine I'd call it. It's a few waves I think nothing too complicated but more complicated then the average joe would make a bass sound. ANd then I add fruity fast distortion and tweak a certain way to give it extra gritty-ness
    Intergalactic space man trying to find his sound that's lost on planet earth. Once powers are harnessed revolution will spark

  7. #7
    Oxygen Beats's Avatar
    Oxygen Beats is offline The Future of Music
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    242
    Yeah, like AG said, a lot of sounds you can make yourself. Your rises, falls, SFX, toms, kicks, snares, hats, crashes, and other various percussion are programmable, and a lot of trap producers make their own. But yeah, you're also going to want/need tubular bells, chants, and things like shakers and other random percussion that you can't really synthesize well. I know purity has a good tubular bell; some vsts have a crappy tubular bells, or at lease ones that sound nothing like that trap tubular bell. As far as chants and the other stuff, I'm always looking for more of that myself. You can download a lot of stuff from freedrumkits.com (I think that's it's name), and you could also try recording some stuff on your own.

    But AG, I disagree with you on you thinking they're lazy because most trap producers do their own mixing and master. More-so than any other genre in fact.

    ---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

    You'll also notice that a lot of top artists on soundclick sell their own drum/sound kits. You should give that a try if you have the money, I'm sure they have some dope sounds.
    Last edited by Oxygen Beats; 03-21-2013 at 11:12 PM.

  8. #8
    AG Beats is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen Beats View Post

    Except I disagree with you on you thinking they're lazy because most trap producers do their own mixing and master. More-so than any other genre in fact.
    I didn't say they were lazy I just said they don't bother with mixing/mastering. Sizzle said it best he takes all the plugins off an 8 bar loop and it goes for "100 bandz"

    He was most likely exaggerating the price, but I really think they just let the engineers do all the mixing and mastering. They just lay the patterns and pick the sounds.



    here's a link to my drum kit, password ' secretpasswordfordrumkit ' I used to sell it but I don't anymore. I was using it to get signups to my email list but I had to cut off that until I get my job back and can afford it

    http://www.mediafire.com/?oq2ydnoi6e1gr4g
    Last edited by AG Beats; 03-21-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Intergalactic space man trying to find his sound that's lost on planet earth. Once powers are harnessed revolution will spark

  9. #9
    WolfeMuzik is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Posts
    2
    where kan i hear some of ur beats at?

  10. #10
    JC_Biffro's Avatar
    JC_Biffro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    644
    Learn sound synthesis and make your own.
    Want to know which VST presets your favourite producers are using? Dip your toe in these YT beauties http://goo.gl/3OzEMF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!