When You Lack Inspiration...

try doin a collab with someone, share skills and ideas. maybe something they know might be what u need and itll sparks off some ideas. i always get great ideas when im over in a friends house workin on FL

my advice is turn of the music...if other music surrounds you all the time then get out and speak to the world...go down to a lake or into the woods or speak to people about other things...maybe watch some international film....track down some DVDs...try something new...

I beleive the creative sphere is connected to your general living atmosphere

Id probably buy some records, some new clothes...you need money then get a job....you arent involved in any activites join a creative writing club

explore human consciousness and dont be so reclusive

then go back to the lab with a new outlook

I would then find a new rhythm...some edgy jazz broken beatbox type **** and then get some "plates" of sound that resounded a state of euphoria...then maybe some choppy fret bass...on a smoky, dark vibe.....etc etc....*inspiration*....then you will have some of that cinematic advert music in your own style

turn off the tv and you will have some cutting edge sci fi **** with a shuffling, lively hi-hat pattern

results may vary, peace

It sounds like you are trying to force something that isn't there. Why do you have to make music? Are you under contract by a record label and worried you might get sued if you don't deliver? Don't be a prisoner to music. Music is fun, but ther are other things better in life. You can't cheat inspiration. You either get inspired or you don't. Nobody is creative 24/7. Its just not humane. When you get inspired to be creative and want to channel it into music then do it, but if your not inspired, then don't. Its pretty simple. If you never get inspired again to be creative, (which is highly unlikely), then never make music again, oh well. But I guarantee you just need a break and more balance in your life. Music itself can become inpspiring if your on a roll and coming up with some cool stuff, but eventually that well runs dry, and thats the point to get out and do something else. If the best music comes naturally, then why put so much time/effort into something that would be better and take less time/effort if you just let it happen naturally? I never understand producers/musicians who say they spend 3-4 days straight in a studio waiting for that "hit" or inspiration to strike them. Thats a big waste of time, because usually when your inspired, it only takes a few hours to get that feeling down on record. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got over a lack of inspiration before by listening to some music and getting hyped and come to the beats full of energy and stuff and you might make some crazy ish

k81 said:
It sounds like you are trying to force something that isn't there. Why do you have to make music? Are you under contract by a record label and worried you might get sued if you don't deliver? Don't be a prisoner to music. Music is fun, but ther are other things better in life. You can't cheat inspiration. You either get inspired or you don't. Nobody is creative 24/7. Its just not humane. When you get inspired to be creative and want to channel it into music then do it, but if your not inspired, then don't. Its pretty simple. If you never get inspired again to be creative, (which is highly unlikely), then never make music again, oh well. But I guarantee you just need a break and more balance in your life. Music itself can become inpspiring if your on a roll and coming up with some cool stuff, but eventually that well runs dry, and thats the point to get out and do something else. If the best music comes naturally, then why put so much time/effort into something that would be better and take less time/effort if you just let it happen naturally? I never understand producers/musicians who say they spend 3-4 days straight in a studio waiting for that "hit" or inspiration to strike them. Thats a big waste of time, because usually when your inspired, it only takes a few hours to get that feeling down on record. Hope that helps.

^^^great post

It's hard to say much because a lot of people said it all. I especially like the idea of turning the playlist on but putting the headphones far enough away to just hear certain parts. I have only been producing a year but I find that beats come in bunches. I was in a rut for awhile and then one weekend I just cranked put about four bangers. I suggest doing something off the beaten path. Go to a live show...get outta town if you can. If it's not fun then something is wrong. Get some Pineapple Express and re-invent yourself. Go into left field...see Miles Davis' *****'s Brew, N.E.R.D.'s Fly Or Die, Kelis's Bossy (for the beats not the vocals)

D-ZEE said:
Ayo thats deep. Honestly, sometimes cats get uninspired. Just stay away from the studio and music, live life a bit. Dont try making a beat for like 2 weeks. Then u'll c. Inspiration will be running at you
coooo-sign. See if you can even last a week. I know when I'm away from it awhile (I travel a bit as well) I miss it more than my girl. lol (Is that bad?) I start thinking up melodys in my head, or if I'm sampling, I'm just hungry when i get back in my place n start diggin thru samples I've got. I think the hunger helps you find different chops also, so if you've been messin with a sample that you know is good, but cant figure out how to flip it, or just feel uninspired, just like homie said. Live life a few days, and come back to music man. It ain't goin nowhere. word.

I go through this every now and then, and the reason i get like this is cause i get bored doing what i no over and over and over again. Thats wen i go and read something online or a book or a magazine and learn how to do new things and then i get back on track with wanting to try stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I came into this thread! I'm having the same problem... forcing things are really frustrating me.... I have at least 8 unfinished tracks in the past few things. Artists that I let hear it are like "you need to finish that" but I'm not feelin them. I feel uninspired and distracted. Thanks for the responses to the original poster. I'm going to take a drive and relax for the day.

Last edited:
N if all else fails I just sit down.... fire up the 360 n play Call of Duty... or Mass Effect :monkey:[/QUOTE]

exactly!!! thank you!!!

What I do is just made some really good synth patches.
It get me in the mood to made a track.
That is why I hate to share any of my patches.
I work hard on them and value them almost as much as beats
At the same time if I do start to share them I could made a name
for myself like others have and it could open up some doors.

I'm really surprised that no one mentioned this, but randomize is your friend. If I get stuck in a rut what I like to do is start making a normal synth or drum pattern, but then to use an instrument that allows me to randomize a percentage of the sound. Also there are sequencers in Reaktor that allow you to make random midi patterns, like Spiral, and I think you can randomize things in Reason as well. Just a thought, but it definitely provides for some unexpected results.

Whenever I lack inspiration, I take a break from making music and start listening to other kinds of music. Progressive metal music is a genre I started to explore years ago, and just listening to it has done wonders for my creativity in melody-making, time signatures, and mixing.

Some days we producers just won't have that creative spark. But do not let that worry you...you will ALWAYS stumble back upon your creativity....maybe even the next day!

This is an excellent question, and one that I struggle with a lot like most other producers. I deal with this a little bit in my tutorial videos, and I see the question pop up on lots of forums as well.

My take on this is that we are at a point where we have loads of quality tools available to us, but producers now put way more emphasis on collecting these tools instead of actually writing music. The result is usually we lose focus a lot more quickly because we are overwhelmed by so many options. My advice is to go well outside of your comfort zone, and stick to one or two tools that you know well. Challenge yourself to experiment and use those well-known tools in ways that you don't usually consider.

One technique that I find to be a LOT of fun is cutting tiny little parts out of bigger waveforms and essentially using those as your own oscillators. Layering these up and then changing their relative filter, volume, and tuning settings can result in some amazing sounds. Add some modulation to this, and you will likely find yourself getting inspired again.

Also, it never hurts just to sit down and listen to other peoples' music to get inspired. Try and listen more closely to your favorite music and analyze WHY you like it.

- Nick

Back