when done with fruity loops, where do you advance to?

"I really want an all in one program, but I guess that's not gonna happen since PT doesn't use VST?"

try the fxpansion vst to rtas adapter, i havnt used it myself but alot of people that are on the digi duc site love it and reckon it works perfect no delays or extra cpu sucking. but really now alot of good stuff is out on rtas anyway, like all the native instrument stuff, antares stuff the ua software comes with a free vst to rtas adapter and of course waves. really i think the only big thing with vst is the fact that there are so many progs out there, kind of like playstation games to x box. and you can get alot of free stuff on vst which isnt allways good but when you aint got no money anything can be good. and with rewire you can just add cubase or fl studio into the mix and get some vst instruments kicking.
if you have any probs with PT midi stuff just ask away its the one part of PT i have really gotten into these days with.

"Why does everybody ignore Cakewalk?"

good point but simple answer, the others are more known, which i dont understand because cakewalk has been around for soo bloody long. but i do think its due to the fact the others have a name, big reputations, and stuff like industry standard put next to there names.
and when you get to have a look into a big time rappers studio session and you see them working with pro tools, well you can guess the influence it has on someone with little knowledge of audio equipment and alot of dreams and hope to become the next big rapper producer song writer singer band or what ever.

but in the end all in all the progs are all just the same just a different look and feel but they are just the same. with good pre amps some nice adda convertors great musicians and good mics and instruments you are going to get the same result out of them all its all about what program feels better to the engineer. best advice to anyone wanting to move into a more recording type software compared to fl studio then test them all out with there demos and go with the one that makes you happy, the rest for sound quality has nothing to do with a program cause its all about the hardware for that.

Last edited:
crazyfoo said:
Why is reason better than fruityloops? Or why is cubase better than fruityloops?

reason is better out of the box because its stock sounds kill fruityloops. I dont like the sequencer as much though. That can all be remedied with re-wire but if you dont own another program such as cubase you're screwed in that aspect.

People knock fruity cause of its simplicity and because so many idiots use it and think they're elite producers.

At the end of the day its really all about personal preference. I'm not ashamed to tell someone I use fruityloops because its only a fraction of my setup and at the end of the day the final result is all that matters. Not how you got there...

I did that "Region" thing you were tellin me about. And I think I like it. Reminds me a lot more of Reason's sequencer. The only problem is that I can't see my blue grid lines anymore, even when I switch my view to absolute OR relative grid... What's the deal?

-Donovan

"The only problem is that I can't see my blue grid lines anymore, even when I switch my view to absolute OR relative grid... What's the deal?"

yeah when your in region mode or block mode ( which will hide the notes ) its just there so you can cut up your loops and copy and paste as blocks insted of copy and paste the notes. but if you want to change the notes in your loop you have to go back to notes.
look at it like each one of those options will do one thing at a time.

also if you have some drum patterns done with sample tank try the midi groove options,( under midi tab at the top ) they have some mpc groove feel and cubase groove feel stuff.

I switched back to all the normal modes and I still couldn't get my damn grids to come back. Just add that to the announces of PT.

-Donovan

I find i'ma gonna be sticking with FL5 for awhile and upgrading it . . .

It's knocked because of all the people who think just cause they have a program their gonna make indusrty quality beats. Then they don't and their beats suck and they blame FL.

FL5 is mainly used as my sequencer. Everything else I do outside of it.

I like it's power but yet simplified look. Works very well with me and I'm bangin out some good stuff with it so i'm not going to change the winning formula.

Last edited:
"I switched back to all the normal modes and I still couldn't get my damn grids to come back. Just add that to the announces of PT."

man i was hoping that wasnt the prob. I had the same prob when i was runing 6.1.1, im pretty sure i got them back by right clicking grid. ill have a look to see what i can find or try and remember what i did, try a search on the digi duc, there should be an answer there, but i can remember that is simple as hell to get back.

you guys are really ignorant if you think FL is a bad program. FL is so good because it's easy to use, and it's versatile. The very fact that it supports vsti plugins and dxi plugins make it a step higher then reason in terms of versatility. FL is so powerful. I mix, record, sequence, synthesize, compose, and i use my midi keyboard with it. True, its sounds out of the box are quite terrible. But that's why you buy (or pirate) sample cds. If you don't think fruity loops can crank out some professional sounding material then i challenge you to listen to some of my music which will prove you wrong. (yes, i know that sounded arrogant, but listen to it and you'll see what i mean). here's a link. www.acidplanet.com/oneilio/songs

I know you don't want this reviewed but new clip #1 is beautiful seriously
(and i am a hip hop guy using Reason) lol....this is the first time hearing FL sound great and not like everyone else great work all round

Lol, if you were using Reason, your orchestrals would be off the hook :-D. You have good musical insight, but you seriously need to upgrade your vsti's, or program :)

-Donovan

You're using 1 grand in orchestral samples? Your sounds sound straight from Final Fantasy 7... And they use all synth. At least you got that I know you're tight with the orchestral music, but the sounds just sound cheap. I'll listen to them again after I get back from classes @ 3.

-Donovan

oneillio,a thousand dollar program don't mean ish cuz all ur paying for is programmer labor

The point is, is that quantum leap is WAYYYYY better than reason when it comes to strings, and anything orchestral for that matter. It's not programmer labor, it's the recording time they took to record every single nuance of a note in every position for every instrument. Now tell me, did the people at propellerheads or whatever refill company there is do THAT? I think not...

On the topic of this...topic, stop being stupid. I know your trying to advance because of conformity of the bigger artists. FL has every thing one needs, and I'm sure it's not "limiting your creative ability." I know people selling their music all the time made from FL, and I can gurantee just because you switch programs, your stuff isn't going to sound any better. You just THINK you've mastered a program, when you haven't. And even when you do, there's still not real reason to switch.

i got tired of FL cuz there was no challenge,it became way too easy,this was before i knew about midi and controllers so it was the mouse all day long,clicking like a madman and i'm like "man ,it's got to be more to this...",i guess it's sumtin about that one screen and everything is right there,too convenient for me,i like convenience but too much can make a person feel worthless (esp. having used the mtv generator prior)....thas when i switched to reason,been usin it for over a year now and i learn sumtin new EVERYDAY,there's still shyt i don't know and i'm tryna find out....i think even by the time i get around to owning an MPC or w/e,i'll still use reason

Kossae said:
The point is, is that quantum leap is WAYYYYY better than reason when it comes to strings, and anything orchestral for that matter. It's not programmer labor, it's the recording time they took to record every single nuance of a note in every position for every instrument. Now tell me, did the people at propellerheads or whatever refill company there is do THAT? I think not...

On the topic of this...topic, stop being stupid. I know your trying to advance because of conformity of the bigger artists. FL has every thing one needs, and I'm sure it's not "limiting your creative ability." I know people selling their music all the time made from FL, and I can gurantee just because you switch programs, your stuff isn't going to sound any better. You just THINK you've mastered a program, when you haven't. And even when you do, there's still not real reason to switch.

1)it don't matter whats better, CAN THE MOFO MAKE GOOD MUSIC W/ IT?

2)it's all labor

who gives a crap how they got the sound on the sound or recorded it or w/e,just let me get it so i can use it......but i also kno people using and selling beats made with FL

Back