What Typa Chords Are These, Diminished? Creepy Sound. HELP!!!

itzdlo

ayodlo
Whats going on FP.

Heres the song - Earl Sweatshirt - WHOA - YouTube

The Chords im talking about start at 1:11 and continue at 1:23.

I always heard these type of chords over creepy melodies and they WORK. Changes the whole feel of the song and I'd really like to incorporate these chords into some projects im working on.

All help is GREATLY appreciated. For real, thanks for peepin this out and helpin out,

dev

E[sup]b[/sup]m-Cm (i-vi) (think Light my fire by the Doors (Am[sup]7[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup]) - parallel tonic minor for the key of E[sup]b[/sup]

at the point you're talking about it goes down through the E[sup]b[/sup]m chord and then comes up through the Cm chord

1234|2234|
E[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]B[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]G[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]E[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]|C[sub]3[/sub]E[sup]b[/sup][sub]3[/sub]G[sub]3[/sub]C[sub]4[/sub]|
E[sup]b[/sup]m|Cm|
Cdim~C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]
Cm[sup]7b5[/sup]~C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]

It's the twist of hearing the G[sup]b[/sup] in one bar and the G natural in the next that makes you think something else is happening - you perceive from beat 3 of the first bar to beat 3 of the 2nd bar that a C dim triad has been played, which is a real event but not reflective of the underlying harmonic movement.

It is also possible to perceive the chord as being Cm[sup]7b5[/sup] from the start of bar 1 beat 1 until the mid point of the 2nd bar; which is just as dissonant as the Cdim triad.

This is a very clever auditory illusion......

Usual caveats about fl apply
Middle C = C[sub]3[/sub] in most daws = MIDI note Number 60 = C[sub]5[/sub] in Fl
; i.e. add 2 to the octave numbers quoted for this to be at the right octave in fl.

Last edited:
Back