What are the Most Common Chords In R&b

Terrel said:
So as long as it goes, m, maj, m; it is proper progression? Damn, I need to learn progression.

NO!!

It can be anything you like!

Terrel said:
So as long as it goes, m, maj, m; it is proper progression? Damn, I need to learn progression.
No such thing as proper progression.

I'm not sure what BarrySanders20 meant by min-maj-min being a common progression, but here are some I feel are common in r&b:

I-IV - ex. Cmaj-Fmaj
I-V - ex. Cmaj-G7
I-IV-V - ex. Cmaj-Fmaj-G7
ii-V-I - ex. Dmin-G7-Cmaj
I-vi-ii-V - ex. Cmaj-Amin-Dmin-G7

i-iv - ex. Cmin-Fmin
i-V - ex. Cmin-G7
i-iv-V ex. Cmin-Fmin-G7

http://musictheory.net/

Here's a link..... I'll give y'all a lil intro to the language of chords and chord progression.........

The Roman numerals(I-VII)are used to define the note in a particular scale(ex... the 5th/V note in the C Major scale would be G)

Chords can be written many different ways so it can get very confusing. Once you learn the language, the rest is easy.

Capital or lower case letters define whether the chord is Major or minor.
(ex.... AM7/AMaj7= A Major Seventh Chord; Dm7=D Minor Seventh)

Then you have to learn the different types of chords and their variations.

Triads
Sixths
Sevenths
Ninths
Elevenths
Thirteenths

The variations along with major and minor include but not limited to:

Dominant 7 beside the note name(ex... B7)
Suspended sus
Diminished dim/-
Augmented aug/the degree symbol/+

There are more variations but these are the most used(and this is an intro... I'm not getting paid for this).

Instead of using a chord chart to memorize chords, just learn the rules of each chord, then you never need a chart again or book.

Major - I, III, V of a scale

Minor - I, III flat, V

Diminished - I, III flat, V flat

Augmented - I, III, V raised

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Hey thanks a lot for the info!!!

Patrizio said:
Instead of using a chord chart to memorize chords, just learn the rules of each chord, then you never need a chart again or book.

Major - I, III, V of a scale

Minor - I, III flat, V

Diminished - I, III flat, V flat

Augmented - I, III, V raised

Just one little question... can you (or anyone that can) show the rules of the 7th versions of chords just like they are here? Would be much appreciated.

So tell me this, if I am making a melodic pattern using single notes how do I go about building the appropriate chords to go along with those single notes?

I might as well do them all(The most used chords)

Sixth Chords

Major - I, III, V, VI

Minor - I, III flat, V, VI

Sixth/Ninth - I, III, V, VI; II(Play with left/weak hand)

Seventh Chords

Dominant - I, III, V, VII flat

Major - I, III, V, VII

Minor - I, III flat, V, VII flat

Minor/Major - I, III flat, V, VII

Diminished - I, III flat, V flat, VI

Half Diminished - I, III flat, V flat, VII flat

Suspended - Replace III with II or IV in Dominant or Major

Extended Chords

Ninth - I, III, V, VII; II

Eleventh - I, III, V, VII; IV

Thirteenth- I, III, V, VII; VI

DJ Curve said:
So tell me this, if I am making a melodic pattern using single notes how do I go about building the appropriate chords to go along with those single notes?

Well that would be up to you and your creativity. You could do a whole song in one scale or you could do some parts of the song in a major scale and some in its natural minor. Every piece of music in done in a particular mode..... Here's a link expaining modes.......
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuu16_...0/**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_mode

Scales and Modes are the basis of all music. Most hip-hop music(and modern music)doesn't get too technical..... They keep it simple with major scales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bezo said:
No such thing as proper progression.

I'm not sure what BarrySanders20 meant by min-maj-min being a common progression, but here are some I feel are common in r&b:

I-IV - ex. Cmaj-Fmaj
I-V - ex. Cmaj-G7
I-IV-V - ex. Cmaj-Fmaj-G7
ii-V-I - ex. Dmin-G7-Cmaj
I-vi-ii-V - ex. Cmaj-Amin-Dmin-G7

i-iv - ex. Cmin-Fmin
i-V - ex. Cmin-G7
i-iv-V ex. Cmin-Fmin-G7

I was referring to any Brian Cox or Jermaine Dupri formulaic R&B. A good number of their songs, as well as other along that line, follow that format. Their formula is pretty repetitive, but simple.

Terrel said:
N/M. In a harmonic progression the 3rd chord is augmented right?

I'm not following you on that........ Are you talking about chord progression?

Depending on the type of chord(they are many types), the III is usually major or diminished..... And I'm not a theory expert, but I guess it's safe to say that Diminished=Flat & Augmented=Sharp

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..........

yeah, its right, but in the notes I take; the natural minor progression is a major chord. In melodic minor progression the III is a diminished chord; I didn't take the notes for the harmonic minor progression III.

Terrel said:
yeah, its right, but in the notes I take; the natural minor progression is a major chord. In melodic minor progression the III is a diminished chord; I didn't take the notes for the harmonic minor progression III.

Ok... Gotcha

Terrel said:
N/M. In a harmonic progression the 3rd chord is augmented right?
Terrel said:
The bIII chord in harmonic and melodic minor progressions is augmented because the raised 7th degree of the scale is the #5th of the bIII chord.

ex. A harm min = A B C D E F G#
bIII of A is Caug = C-E-G#

Terrel,

You're thinking about the ii chord which is diminished in both natural and harmonic minor progressions. It's a minor chord in melodic minor progressions.

Bezo said:
The bIII chord in harmonic and melodic minor progressions is augmented because the raised 7th degree of the scale is the #5th of the bIII chord.

ex. A harm min = A B C D E F G#
bIII of A is Caug = C-E-G#

Terrel,

You're thinking about the ii chord which is diminished in both natural and harmonic minor progressions. It's a minor chord in melodic minor progressions.

Good clarity bezo because patrizio's terminology is a bit faulty.
patrizio you don't explain interals within chords with roman numerals. Also, upper and lower case roman numerals are not interchangeable. they are either minor or major. for example, in c major, when you are discussing eminor; you always write it as iii not III. Roman numerals, numbers in music in general, are meant to be simple. the best bet for learning anything about music is to learn how to become one with it. A good starting point is understanding how Western(european) musical theory is constructed which is on whole steps and half steps. This simple concept alone will make grasping how chords work in western music much easier. You have more of a logical approach with decision making. One last pointer for when learning chords: learn all the major and minor chords first which isn't that hard to do. Then once you want to learn more advanced chords; think of it as building on top of or adding to the major and minor ones. this is why music and math are so inter-related because all the concepts learned in the beginning are still used in the more advanced approaches or concepts. I'm fortunate because i started piano @ 3 and half years old.

Back