what key in "when I was your man" by bruno mars in

dksucharda

I am really trying to learn how songs are structured so I can maybe do some writing on my own. I have been studying theory quit a bit and here is where I am at. One website says it is in the key of D and it does start on a D7. But another website I go to says it is in the key of Amin and verse one does start with Amin. Then, when I go to music notes where you can pay and download sheet music it shows you the first page and the the key signature is key of C. So, I thought well Amin is the relative minor to C so maybe the key of C is right. But still, I don't know. The last thing that is in my head that doesn't make sense is the first chord is D7, which has a D, F#,A,C. The C is what makes it a 7th and in the song that is played with octive C with the left hand(I think I have this right?) But where does the F# come in (unless it is in a key with a F# in it, which obviously, there are a lot of keys with F#)? I am aware of accidentals but usually with individual notes, not in chords. Lastly, Does every D7 have to have a F# in and if so Why?

Hopefully there is not too much in here. If so I would appreciate pieces being answered. Thanks.

It looks like it's in A min, since that is where his verse starts.

I can't help you much with the D7, but if I had to guess, it would be because there is some resolution from D7 to D minor. In fact, there is a smooth, downward motion from D7, D minor, C major.

Yes, every D7 has to have an F# in it, no matter what key you are playing in. The reason why is then it wouldn't be a D7. Chords follow a series of steps. A D7 follows Root-2 whole steps- 1 1/2 wholesteps- 1 1/2 wholesteps, or Root- 4 keys up- 3 keys up- 3 keys up. So even if you're playing in Z minor, my made up key that will be famous one day, a D7 will always have F# in it.

Lastly, Does every D7 have to have a F# in and if so Why?
Yes. The most important notes that define the quality of a chord are the 3rd, 7th, and whatever alteration is stated or preferred after the fact (ex. in a D7b9 chord, you could drop the root and 5th and you would still be playing a D7b9 chord)

so went and listened to the vid and here is my quick and dirty transcription (once all the way through after three listens to the first 30 seconds to establish key and chordal movement)

D[sup]7[/sup] - Dm - C - D[sup]7[/sup] - Dm - C - G[sub]/B[/sub]

Am - C - Dm - G[sup]7[/sup] - C - C[sub]/B[/sub] - Am - C - Dm - G[sup]7[/sup] - C - G[sub]/B[/sub]

Am - Em - B[sup]b[/sup] - G[sup]7sus4[/sup] - G[sup]7[/sup]

F - G - C - F - G - C - F - G - Am - D[sup]7[/sup] - F - Fm - C - F - C - G[sub]/B[/sub]

Am - C - Dm - G[sup]7[/sup] - C - C[sub]/B[/sub] - Am - C - Dm - G[sup]7[/sup]- C - G[sub]/B[/sub]

Am - Em - B[sup]b[/sup] - G[sup]7sus4[/sup] - G[sup]7[/sup]

F - G - C - F - G - C - F - G - Am - D[sup]7[/sup] - F - Fm - C

F - G - C - G[sub]/B[/sub] - Am - Am[sub]/G[/sub] - D[sup]7[/sup] - F[sub]/G[/sub] - G[sup]7[/sup]

F - G - C - F - G - C - F - G - Am - D[sup]7[/sup] - F - Fm - C - D[sup]7[/sup] - F - Fm - C

based on this it is firmly in the key of C major with occasional meanderings to the relative minor (Am) the D7 is simply a secondary dominant pushing to the Dm (which is a substitute for G[sup]7[/sup] (DFA is the upper part of a G[sup]9[/sup] chord))

F[sub]/G[/sub] is short notation for G[sup]11[/sup] - i.e. it is more than a 7sus4 in that it also contains the 3rd and 9th

D[sup]7[/sup] ~ D-F[sup]#[/sup]-A-C
Dm ~ D-F-A
C ~ C-E-G
G[sub]/B[/sub] ~ G-B-D with a B in the bass
Am ~ A-C-E
G[sup]7[/sup] ~ G-B-D-F
C[sub]/B[/sub] ~ C-E-G with a B in the bass
Em ~ E-G-B
B[sup]b[/sup] ~ B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F
G[sup]7sus4[/sup] ~ G-C-D-F
F ~ F-A-C
Fm ~ F-A[sup]b[/sup]-C
Am[sub]/G[/sub] ~ A-C-E with a G in the bass
F[sub]/G[/sub] ~ F-A-C with a G in the bass

Functional analysis

V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V - ii - I - V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V - ii - I - V[sub]/7[/sub]

vi - I - ii - V[sup]7[/sup] - I - I[sub]/7[/sub] - vi - I - ii - V[sup]7[/sup] - I - V[sub]/7[/sub]

vi - iii - [sup]b[/sup]VII - V[sup]7sus4[/sup] - V[sup]7[/sup]

IV - V - I - IV - V - I - IV - V - vi - V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V - IV - iv - I - IV - I - V[sub]/7[/sub]

vi - I - ii - V[sup]7[/sup] - I - I[sub]/7[/sub] - vi - I - ii - V[sup]7[/sup] - I - V[sub]/7[/sub]

vi - iii - [sup]b[/sup]VII - V[sup]7sus4[/sup] - V[sup]7[/sup]

IV - V - I - IV - V - I - IV - V - vi - V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V - IV - iv - I

IV - V - I - V[sub]/7[/sub] - vi - vi[sub]/5[/sub] - V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V - IV[sub]/5[/sub] - V[sup]7[/sup]

IV - V - I - IV - V - I - IV - V - vi - V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V - IV - iv - I - V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V - IV - iv - I

Last edited:
Back