What key is this sample in?

Sohail288

dont no what happend above but here was the original message:

Sorry to bother all of you, but, im not a good music theorist, so i dont really know what im doing, but i do no that i need to know the key that the sample is in so that i can finish this.

Heres the beat, the sample is in the first two bars obviously, http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VKBGSNOY
and thanks for the help.

Don't sweat it. It is a rare gift to be able to hear a piece of music and instantly tell its key. Sadly, I don't have said gift, so I can't help you. :)

Well, it's not actually clear--that is to say that what I say can be argued with, because it doesn't have every note of a scale. It's a B scale, and it seems to imply either a natural minor scale, or a mixolydian mode. If you don't know what that means, let me explain.

For it to truly be either a definite Major or Minor scale, we would need a third note about the TONIC note of the scale (which, for simplicity sake, is the bass note). The bass note is B. If it had a D, it would be minor; if it had a D#, it would be major. However, it doesn't have a D.

So it could have a major-third, or a minor-third about B. But it can't be a major scale in the regular sense--if it did, it would have an A#, but it doesn't--it has an A natural.

If this doesn't mean anything to you, that's fine. Suffice it to say that it is in B, it "implies" either B minor or B Mixolydian.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Well, it's not actually clear--that is to say that what I say can be argued with, because it doesn't have every note of a scale. It's a B scale, and it seems to imply either a natural minor scale, or a mixolydian mode. If you don't know what that means, let me explain.

For it to truly be either a definite Major or Minor scale, we would need a third note about the TONIC note of the scale (which, for simplicity sake, is the bass note). The bass note is B. If it had a D, it would be minor; if it had a D#, it would be major. However, it doesn't have a D.

So it could have a major-third, or a minor-third about B. But it can't be a major scale in the regular sense--if it did, it would have an A#, but it doesn't--it has an A natural.

If this doesn't mean anything to you, that's fine. Suffice it to say that it is in B, it "implies" either B minor or B Mixolydian.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

alrite thanks lol, b it is. Ill find out if its a b min or the other one by just experimenting. i can do that lol. Only if i can tell if it sounds out of key on either of them.

Next time you run into this problem, import the sample into your sequencer. Open a vst instrument regardless of how ****ty it sounds and play different sequences of notes. You'll see.. certain tones fit right into each other and others definetly don't.

To find out what key you are in, you gotta train your ears. This takes time and for some is a life long passion. I have this one girl in my class that can sing any note you ask. "Hey gurl, give me a c#" and voila she's got it. That's called perfect pitch... and that's a whole other story!

A

Back