What inspires you to create a new sound?

like when my stuff is all coming together but its missing that certain something, im scrolling thru my presets and none of them even come close to what i need. i have a general idea in my head so i start breaking down sounds and rebuilding them, not that easy lol.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

do you mean like an instrument sound or a new sound style? lol i keep forgetting what section im in sometimes

Hmm most of the time it's hearing an interesting sound in a new track! I love creating my own sounds firstly because I know no-one else will have used em, unlike using presets that everyone has.

I also like the control you have over creating your own synths. When I used to mainly use presets I used to spend too much time going through a bunch of vsts looking for something that sounded close enough to what I was hearing in my head. Now, when I'm hearing a certain sound I just make it, and I can manipulate it to the way I need to!

software? I use the frooty loopz lol.

no but for real.. I use FL Studio 10, with some 3rd party vst plugins such as IK Multimedia Syths and spectrasonics VSTi.
I'v used just about every program software and hardware, I found my way back to the same program I started out with.

yea its pretty popular now but I'v been using it sinse forever ago lol, i think when V4 just came out.
I used to create sounds on my motif before i sold it, I would then record the sample into fl and use my new sound that I just created right inside FL.. but i dont miss that keyboard, FL and 3rd party plugins are all i will ever need. just a lil midi controller.

What programs are you using?

I kinda want to change my major to something like that.
well good luck to ya, yea it figures they would have protools industry standard. I need to learn protools someday, thats like the only program i havent used before but i figure it cant be too different. Probly alot of technical terms and precise tricks.

Sometimes I just grab my recorder, go out and see what I can find lol. Even sampled a train before. Imagination has no limit.
When it comes to synths, if there is a sound I want, I find the closest thing to it and start messing with the oscillators and filters etc till I find what will suit the tune.

how do u guys create new sounds? Is there a special software out there to do just that? Or do u just mean becoming a master of your synth plug-ins and keyboards that you know exactly what to do (i.e. what knobs to turn, what settings to set) to produce a sound you're imagining in your head?

Last edited:
Are you talking about making new sounds in a vst or from a synthesizer? I'm not sure how everyone else works.. but if I wanted a new sound or a sound that I had in mind. I would look through the presets and see whats the closest sound i want first then I would play around by tweaking the sound. Once you learn to tweak and know your vsts ..your the boss of it :) knowledge comes with experience.

how do u guys create new sounds? Is there a special software out there to do just that? Or do u just mean becoming a master of your synth plug-ins and keyboards that you know exactly what to do (i.e. what knobs to turn, what settings to set) to produce a sound you're imagining in your head?

I think it is important to do something that you like. What would you want to rave to?
Thants the kind of sound you want to achieve. Try to think new, because thats how you can get out there and play at big venues.
Dont try to copy someone, try to do your own thing.. Then you are there sooner than you think!! :)

I make my best stuff when I go in not caring what I make and am just making things I think sound cool and experimenting with synths, before you know it ill have a few sounds I love and go from there.

Back