What effect is being used on the percussion?

I'm trying to figure out what he did to the hi-hats to give it that in-and-out feel. Sounds like some phasing or flanging is going as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will find that it is two separate hi-hat lines that are eq'd differently might be different samples might be the same samples

I agree with bandcoach on this, put there is some phasing or flanging as well, not sure how much, but that's an experiment. There's also stereo modulation to make it get wider then come back down.

the stereo mod and the phasing flanging are all caused by the separate hi-hats being played back at the same time, i.e. the effects are simply the result of combining the unfiltered and the filtered versions at the same time

But there is a stereo mod on the last hi-hat in the drum loop because it's a that sort of pans out a little. It's not the same sample as the rest of the hi-hats (i.e. the ones bandcoach is talking about), but there's some stereo on that.

I hear 3 different HH's. I guess you could achieve same effect, by giving them all different velocity/volume, reverb wetness and pan position.
Because you can clearly hear some more in front of the mix and some more in the back of the mix. Thats what gives it the ''in and out'' effect.

Goodluck.

do either of you understand that I am talking about 4 or 6 (closed, stomp, open) hi-hat samples being played with half being passed through a low-pass filter and the other half being played en-clair - both sets of samples are panned to about 66% right

add that at some points both sets are being used at the same time and the modulation, panning and flanging/adt being heard can all be explained

No sorry bandcoach, I dont understand the first part till en-clair. My answer was just how I would do it, with my knowledge.

two separate yet similar parts with the same or slightly different samples, timings and velocities: one with no fx, the other with a lpf on; it both panned to the right with some variations in panning positions as well

same material, same basic structures one low-passed playing at the same time or alternated = bigger hi-hat sound with depth, flanging/adt and panning modulation

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies you guys, I rarely come across songs that actually stump me production wise, mostly because I stay in the hip hop subgenres of things.
Also thanks for fixing the original post Bandcoach.
My only question is, what exactly is "stereo modulation"?

modulating the width of the stereo image wider or narrower: can be achieved using stereo imagers with automation of the width parameter or just by layering similar sounds with different fx and wider or narrower panning

nope

multiple versions of the same samples: yes
depth modulation by reverb: no, this is achieved by a low pass filter on one set of the samples
stereo/width modulation: maybe, but better explained by adding and subtracting the lpf channel than modulating pan position of some/all samples

Back